SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_20575877

Large Houseplant Suggestions Wanted, Please!

User
8 years ago

Long story short, I am the resident plant mom at my house, and my step sister has decided she wants a small tree for her room. Of course, she asks me what she should get but trees are the one thing I don't know much about. I know house plants, flowers, vegetables, succulents... not trees/shrubs. And I'm really not sure where to start so I'm hoping someone on this forum can either help me find something suitable to suggest to her, or point me to a forum that might be better for asking this.

I have a small (4' tall) dwarf starfruit tree in the kitchen, she wants something around that size, because mine is "a great size." Of course, I'm not even sure she wants a tree specifically. Just something big, green, and that size that would make her room look nice.

I know the best thing is to suggest a silk/fake tree so I'll probably do that, but I'm asking for live plants in case she's adamant about getting something real. I'm thinking I might not be able to find a tree that size unless it's explicitly a dwarf tree, otherwise there's a risk of it getting too big. Plants are just plants to her, where people like you guys and myself see the various species and their complex needs. Would there be some sort of cool, large plant that would do well indoors?

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this... I wasn't sure what forum to go to, since I really have no idea where to start with something like this. I pick plants because I like them, not because they fit my decor.

Comments (9)