SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wampum36

Grape advice needed for New York

rj campbell inc
8 years ago

Hey all, I'm putting in a pergola for grapes this spring (40' long x 8' Wide) and could really use some advise. I'm getting myself confused on a few things

1. How many vines should I plant? or how much sqft should I allow per vine ?

2. Varieties: I would like at least half of it to be for Concords or Concord-like grapes. so I can cook, juice, and make jam with. From what I have been reading Concords have there fair share of problems, so i'm open for any advice as to what else to use, but I would really prefer the Concord flavor, Does Stueben taste like Concord?

For the rest of the run I would like something to eat out of hand. preferably seedless. any advice would be great on this front because i'm new to this.

3. how should I prepare my soil for these vines? my whole property is well drained, all bank run gravel. but I was planning on digging with my excavator (one or two bucket fulls) where im going to plant and putting some prepared topsoil in before I plant. is this a good idea?

1. I was planning on building the pergola with 6x6 pressure treated posts and the top will be all cedar. will the pressure treated posts be ok or will it affect the grapes?

5. Has anybody had luck with double a vineyards?

6. How high should I make the Pergola so I can affectively pick the grapes without being too high or too short?

I will greatly appreciate the advice

Comments (17)