SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardener365

Need Grape Support Advice

gardener365
10 years ago

Hello,

I live in IL in zone 5 and I purchased 14 varieties of seedless grapes that arrived yesterday. Tomorrow I will be going to purchase lumber and wire and fasteners and I'm going to run electrical conduit across the entire top of each post. It's a straight shot. The conduit is to stiffen up the entire trellis.

What I don't understand is how seedless grapes should be trained in my climate. I was planning on a single wire cordon system, but I've read that dieback is a concern in colder climates with this type of pruning. All the grapes I've ordered except maybe 1 or 2 are all 5b (my zone) or hardier. I know for a fact that one is a 6a grape.

If you guys might be able to guide me as to which pruning "system" to use for seedless grapes and at what height my (hopefully single wire) or (more wires, i.e. 2 at max) is best for IL, I'd surely appreciate it.

So system (kniffen, cordon, etc-) is where I need help and what height my wire or wire(s) would best be suitable for climate and ease of production.

I really thank you.

Dax

Here are the varieties I have (right click image and select "view image" for larger)

Comments (13)