SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
leah_steele48

Shrub selection for dense hedge

Leah Steele
8 years ago

I have a row of border grass planted about 4 feet out from the fence along most of perimeter of my back yard and the bed inside is currently bare. I'd like to train a dense hedge along the length to be a back drop for some other shrubs, cover the ugly fence, and have enough spread to take up a lot of the currently barren real estate along the fence line. Ideally at least 4 ft high but something I could keep at 10 or under. Also, depending on the spread, I'm probably looking at 15-20 plants, so something on the less expensive side or easy to transplant/propagate would be nice.

I'm in N Florida, 8b, and unfortunately the spot gets morning shade and afternoon sun so I need drought tolerance. I also want evergreen and like the look of a nice dark green foliage. I'm up for some pruning and I'm looking for a manicured look so need a bush that can handle that. The area drains well but I haven't tested the soil pH.

I have bees in the yard so something that feeds them would be a plus. I like a lot of the pros of the privet hedge, but I understand there are lots of cons too. I like a dwarf Burford holly hedge, too, but understand their growth rate is on the slow side.

I know that's a lot of specifics, but any and all suggestions would be welcome.
Thanks!

Comments (12)