SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fiehumbuggery

Lights for Overwintering Eureka Lemon

fiehumbuggery
8 years ago

Hi there, this is my first winter with my three year old dwarf Eureka lemon tree. I've had a look through the search for growlights in the citrus forum, but I haven't ran across any results so far within my budget other than one with buckets encasing the plant, which isn't an option as it would be in the entryway of my home.
My home is notoriously bad for indoor plants as there are no good windows for light, and trees shade much of the house. The only real place to put the tree is in my front entryway/hall next to an outlet. As it would be right in plain sight, I want something that would not be an eyesore for those coming in and out.
I've read that flourescent lights do just as well as growlights. What wattage would be sufficient for a lemon tree's requirements, I don't want the light to be too weak. And any specific light color or lumen output requirements?
Also, would one light directly over the tree be enough, or should I plan to have a few lights from different angles?
I have a timer that I plan to set to keep consistent light timing. Any advice on how long to have it on in winter? Eight hours? Ten hours?
I'm sorry for asking so many questions, and I'm also sorry if my questions are answered elsewhere in previous posts. My budget is about $50 dollars. I really want to keep my tree healthy over the winter, so I appreciate any advice or input. Thanks in advance, and if you need any additional details, let me know.

Comments (49)