SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
christiane_godoy

Planting apple trees and moving other trees around

Christiane Godoy
8 years ago

I am zone 8b, texas. Soil is clay.

Let me start with this: I planted five Shumard Oaks on my backyard last year... It sounded a good idea, nice looking trees that would grow fast. Fast forward one year, I want to get into planting fruit trees. I bought two apple trees recommended for my area (Fuji and Mollies Delicious), which I don't know what root stock they are on by the way, and I want to grow open vase to avoid the hassle of harvesting with a ladder, and be able to just walk to the tree and pick (please tell me I got that right!)

This is my backyard today: these Shumard oaks are as close as 25 ft. from each other. They are all set back to the back of the property.

Now, on this second image is what I am thinking about doing: new spacing between Shumard oaks of minimum 40 ft, ,and apple trees with width of 20 ft.

1. Do you agree with the spacing on the second image? I guess the trees won't compete for soil, but I am sure about sun exposure for those apple trees.

2. Do you see concerns and recommend best timing to move those trees? I am in zone 8B - TX. I would need to move four of the five Shumards. Should I move those all at the same time? Or should I move one at a season and see how it goes?

3. Is there a way I can make this work (soil, sun and spacing requirements for both tress) without moving the Shumard oaks around? This is what my hubby wants but I think the trees will end up competing in the long term and if we're going to do anything about that, we should do it ASAP while they're smaller.

Appreciate your responses!

Comments (9)