SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plllog

Have you tried Kale Sprouts? (AKA Kalettes or Lollipop Kale)

plllog
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Between the heat, the relatives, the cold that never quite goes away and a bad back episode, this has been a Summer for low fuss cooking. I bought a bag of tiny kale sprouts at Trader Joe's just because they're cute. For those who don't know, they're a hybrid of red Russian kale and Brussels sprouts. They look like Honey I Shrunk the Kids heads of red kale, that grow on a Brussels sprouts style stalk. Each is about the size of a Brussels sprout too.

Originally, I was thinking beer batter fritters and other such obscenities, but the back thing happened, and I wanted to use them before they died, so I just did them up similarly to how I do kale chips, but a hotter oven (350°), longer, and with garlic pepper/salt rather than straight S&P. Just tossed them with light olive oil, sprinkled all over, and roasted for about 50 minutes, to dark and crunchy. They did have a good bit of that cabbagy smell, but the taste is much milder. More cabbagy than kale, but no hit of sulphur. Really delicious and fun to eat like popcorn. :) Though I still think they'd make excellent fritters. :)

Have you tried them? How did you make them?

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!