SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
1nonlyj

"Social media" when I was a kid ...

IdaClaire
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I don't know why I flashed back to this as I was getting ready this morning, but I thought of how popular CB radios became in the 70s for those who were NOT truckers, and remembered my family having one in the VW van. (Yes, my parents were kinda/sorta hippies back in the day.) I was allowed to play with it, which probably broke all kinds of rules or laws - but many of my friends' families had them too, and THEY were allowed to play as well. I would spend HOURS listening to the truckers talk, and picked up their lingo and became a part of a little CB radio community, mostly comprised of people I knew. ("Breaker-breaker 1-9 ...") I couldn't have been more than 11 or 12 years old, and my handle was Cocoa Puff. (My friend from school was Blue Lady. Yes, LADY. At 12. *chuckle*)

I had a friend who was a boy (I had never had an actual BOYFRIEND), and he and I talked often. HE had a friend who was - are you ready for it? - in HIGH SCHOOL, and I was absolutely smitten with this older "man" named Mark. Mark's handle was Midnight Raider, and I thought that was just about the hottest thing EVER. One day after we talked on the radio, the two boys rode bikes to my house. I nervously met them at the curb, terrified my parents would find out they were there. Mark had shaggy blonde hair and piercing blue eyes. Wow. I did my very best to try to impress him, and concocted a number of little-girl-fantasies (Cinderella fashion) with him as the prince. I was absolutely devastated days later when my friend, the younger boy, told me that Mark mentioned to him that I was just a kid and had no need of (as he put it) an "over-the-shoulder boulder holder." Mortifying. That may have been my first crushing blow at the uninterested hands of the opposite sex.

I suppose there could have been a dangerous element in all of this. I mean, we were little girls, talking to grown truckers at times. I don't remember being closely monitored though. Perhaps my folks thought me safe, in the van in the garage or driveway, at home. It was a different world. Or so it seemed at the time.

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022