SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jay83

amaryllis inside all year long??

8 years ago

I live in a basement apartment with big SW facing sunny windows. can I grow an amaryllis all yr long inside in these windows without having to put them outside in summer as I have no garden in a basement apartment and still get them to rebloom yearly?? also heres something to consider, a few years ago my friend also planted and grew some amaryllis seeds from seed to first bloom in 3 years and they only saw four T8 tubes for light there entire life! he explained to me theres no need to waste money on expensive MH bulbs or HPS. he just said for the first while u use 6500K t8 tubes to promote leaf growth, then after a few years he said to mix in a few full spectrum tubes with the daylight 6500k tubes in a 50 50 ratio 16h on 8 off. To help form the flowers for the future. He went on to tell me that for the first few years u don't need to induce dormancy in the young plants as its best to keep em growing strong to form larger bulbs faster. I witnessed this first hand that it is entirely possible to grow plants under t8 especially amaryllis. He said he got the idea from a indoor plant book that stated for medium light (light for most houseplants use TWO 48 inch tubes. high light plants like cacti bulbs succulents etc use FOUR tubes) so he took the advice and used the four tube setup for the amaryllis cuz there a bulb. sure enough it worked! I may try to grow amaryllis from seed to first bloom too under T8 as he did just fine. just thought id share this for any of you hopefuls out there :)

Comments (3)

Sponsored
More Discussions