SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melanie_mueth

Slide in to freestanding: A step backwards? (Mind the Gap??)

8 years ago

I need to replace a malfunctioning Electrolux induction range. When we got it, we put in new counters to accommodate a slide in with a strip of counter running behind the range.

I fell in love with the Miele induction 30" range I saw in a showroom. I just found out they are selling the floor model discounted more than $1k and I want to jump on it. BUT I am worried about going back to that annoying gap between the counter and range, where stuff is bound to fall. The Miele weighs a ton, so moving it to clean will be hard. I will have to remove the counter strip in back (it's just a strip with seams bracketed up so can be done). Also my opening is 29.75" in front, so the counter installer will need to shave it down I guess.

If not the Miele, I would probably get the Samsung slide in, and also need to look at Bosch.

Any opinions on if going back to freestanding should be a no-go? I feel like taking out the back strip and having a non-built in look and the dreaded gaps is a step backwards BUT I see professional kitchens with high end lovely freestanding ranges, so obviously it's done, but how do you get over that annoying gap between counter and range?

Also, I've looked at some of the filler products used to cover the gap and from the pics at least they look pretty bad, to my eye.

Comments (7)