SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
secsteve

Send email or not?

secsteve
8 years ago

I recently had an extremely unpleasant exchange with a computer repair person we've used in the past and always found to be cordial. Not this time.

He's a PC/Mac person, though does more PC work. He sold us a refurbished Mac and two days later we encountered a problem with the Mac.

His response took me totally by surprise as he was short on the phone and at one point actually YELLED at myself and George that "we must have put in a password" (we didn't as he stated it wasn't needed) and that we should try all passwords and if that didn't work he'd come and get it but would have to wipe the hard drive clean and we'd lose any data and a couple of programs.

His attitude over the phone left us both angry. Also we weren't convinced his wiping the hard drive clean was the best solution. A conversation with a friend who used to teach Macs lead us to the Genius bar where the problem was fixed in a matter of minutes by a very simple procedure.

I've drafted an email, but George feels we shouldn't even bother with him and just not use him in the future. I on the other hand, feel he should be made aware of why he's losing a good customer.

Thoughts?

Comments (20)

• party_music50
    8 years ago

With these circumstances, I would send an email or even snail mail. He might have been having a really bad day and just snapped. Hopefully he will make it up to you and keep you as a customer -- otherwise he'll know why he lost you. Unhappy customers are not good for a business like that!

• User
    8 years ago

I agree with George. Let it drop and find a new computer repair person. From what you've related, IMO, there seems to be some rather odd circumstances involved with the refurbishing of that Mac if you were told not to use/enter a password. Be glad someone helped you get it up and running...and go forward. If he had a bad day as suggested above...and he's worth his weight as a friend...he'll come to you with an explanation and an apology. Otherwise...absorb your dismay and enjoy your new Mac.

• party_music50
    8 years ago

I was going to say that you should also tell him about your friend's correct 'fix'. It does sound like he's probably in over his head when it comes to Mac maintenance.

• blfenton
    8 years ago

Without alluding to the yelling conversation how about sending him an e-mail and explaining to him how it got fixed (asked a friend and he suggested that....) and then say that as he seems to be more of a PC person you are going to find someone who is more knowledgeable in MAC's for future repairs. And then thank him for his past services.

He may have been having a bad day, he may have thought you were blaming him for selling you a lousy Mac, but whatever, take the high ride and don't allude to the yelling part.

• Fun2BHere
    8 years ago

An abrupt personality change usually signals a problem with alcohol or drugs. I would skip the email and drop the person from my list of trusted vendors. If the guy contacts you and apologizes, then you can reconsider.

• lucillle
    8 years ago

If someone treated me that way after I had given my hard earned money, I would carefully draft an email stating why I do not feel his behavior was professional, and send it to him as well as a copy to his boss.

Also, my general feeling about a sudden behavior change due to alcohol or drugs, calling the person out on their behavior in a courteous way may be (not by itself but along with other feedback received by the person) an incentive to get help.

• Georgysmom
    8 years ago

I think if you're going to do anything you should stop in his place of business and speak to him calmly face to face. Let him know you were upset over the recent exchange and how he handled it, and tell him about the easy quick fix. That gives you both a chance to explain rationally both sides of the story. Whether or not you continue a business relationship with him after that is strictly up to you.

• plllog
    8 years ago

I agree that you never know what circumstances you find someone in on the phone, and a lot of people don't know how to say something like, "I know you're having a problem with something I sold you but I'm in the middle of a crisis and just can't help you. Please take it to the Mac store." A crisis may be what the yelling was about. It could have substance, as Lucille suggested, but it could have been his wife walking out, a family member being badly injured or ill, a business partner off to the tropics with all their money... He could have real problems.

If you're going to send an e-mail, don't do the one that would make you feel better for venting. That's just tit for tat and more about making him feel bad in return. Instead, make it something simple, which, as you said, informs him why he's losing a client. Something like, "We're sorry you weren't able to help us when we called. We've taken the computer to the Genius Bar and they were able to solve the problem easily. We're confident that they'll be able to help us with our future needs."

• Elmer J Fudd
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

It's funny to me how some of you think it's necessary to try to understand or make excuses for this fellow's rude conduct. Seems like that's his task, not the customer's.

He was being defensive and self-protective, maybe he knows he's not very good. George's idea seems reasonable. If you feel a need to blow off steam, send a short message saying that the problem was solved simply at the Genius bar and because of this episode, you've decided to use other services in the future because of his lack of politeness and apparent lack of knowledge.

• lindaohnowga
    8 years ago

You paid him, then he got rude with you. Not acceptable. You didn't get what you paid for. I agree with Snidely.

• plllog
    8 years ago

Yes. Compassion and forgiveness aren't nearly as satisfying as giving tit for tat.

• Elmer J Fudd
    8 years ago

There's no tit for tat if following George's advice, not sure what bee flew into your bonnet.

I spent a career in a service business. You learn quickly that what you think, what your perspective is concerning a customer's position, how your day is going, etc., are all things to keep to yourself if not asked. In dealing with customers, service providers have the opportunity to either give those customers a reason for continued patronage in the future or a reason to find someone else. Actions and deeds have consequences. Save compassion for an injured child or your elderly aunt.

• secsteve
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks all. A couple of excellent suggestions that I will use.

Party music, and blfenton I like some of what you suggested. Georgy's mom, he has a shop, but is very seldom in it and comes to your home. That was one reason I chose him.

Snidely, your statement is exactly what I was looking for. Gets the point across without IMHO being nasty.

• User
    8 years ago

If you were at work and rude to a customer, regardless of the reason, would you're boss be thrilled about it? I know I wouldn't! It's all about professionalism and keeping both your private life and emotions at home. It's not a customer's responsibility to make excuses for a professional's bad behavior, that's not what someone is paying for. And, it isn't about getting in his face for the ultimate payback either. It's about letting a business owner know, I didn't appreciate the way you treated me as your customer and I'm going elsewhere now as a result. It can be said in a diplomatic way that isn't aggressive but being honest and saying the truth about why you're no longer his customer is important.

• mare_wbpa
    8 years ago

He's in business. He was rude, and it's not acceptable to be rude to clientele. If you just stop using him he might not even realize that he lost a customer. I would definitely contact him in some way to let him know that you won't be patronizing him and why.

• jemdandy
    8 years ago

The type of email would be determined by circumstances. If the perpetrator was the sole owner of the shop, then no email or an email explaining why he has lost your business. If the perpetrator was an employee, then definitely no note to him, but send a fiery note to the owner or top manager of the place explaining your displeasure, and that you will go elsewhere. Let his management confront him. A blast from his boss has more effect than any caterwauling to him by you.

• trancegemini_wa
    8 years ago

I agree with jemdanday, if he is the business owner then any email to him is just going to be to "show him what's what" and really pointless. I would just move on though, everyone has a computer so losing one customer probably won't have any real impact on his business, especially if he comes out to his customers, so sending the email will just be to teach him a lesson IMO and won't achieve anything. If on the other hand he is an employee, then let management know.

• secsteve
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Well, took all the advice here and sent him an email yesterday using some of the statements recommended.

George and I both agreed that it may or may not do any good, but at least he'll know why we won't be using him anymore.

I didn't make mention of the shouting (and insulting statement) but mentioned how impolite he was over the phone.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

• cynic
    8 years ago

I'm late to the ballgame here but surprised nobody made mention or asked the "elephant in the room" question. Did it come with a warranty? I know I'm in the minority for understanding the business side of things but when you buy used you often don't get unlimited support. Don't know how you approached him so no sense discussing the phone call. Having been in the position of people coming with "the customer is ALWAYS right" attitude all too often, (and no successful business follows that anyway LOL) the fault may not exactly be in the stars, but ourselves. FWIW, the television show "Hardcore Pawn" is a great show to get an idea of what businesses deal with from the business side and some of the customers who come in. There's a huge difference in troubleshooting over the phone and having the unit in hand. So obviously the second place had a big benefit not offered to the first guy.

Losing your business probably won't run him out of business but if it makes you feel better to leave, that's your decision. You don't mention your past experience with him so with being so quick to quit using him, I'd have to guess you don't have a long-established relationship for which you could hope for special treatment. Running to the boss (if he has one) is another action to only lose credibility so I'm glad to hear you didn't pursue that action. If you have a problem with him, face him is my feeling. I wouldn't expect a response from him (no benefit for either side to have an email war) with what I've read so it's probably best for both of you for you to move on to another place and keep your blood pressure down.

Glad you got it fixed. Good luck with it in the future.