SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bossyvossy

So...how many times have you done it?

bossyvossy
8 years ago

Not thaaaat, this: dropped and broken your cell phone. I'm on my fourth screen shatter. I don't have insurance, but did spend $ on an Otter phone cover, and it has shielded the phone from my many drops, but not the one just a few minutes ago. Caramba!

Am I the only butter fingers?

Comments (50)

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    8 years ago

If you had the otterbox on it contact them!

• gyr_falcon
    8 years ago

Zero. But then, I am not a perpetual fondler of the thing like most people seem to be nowadays.

• Related Discussions

So how many flats do you have on the go so far?

Q

Comments (5)
    I have about 6 or 7 flats started and mostly doing well. I have 28 tomato plants just put into separate pots (3 varieties: Black Krim, Iidi and Padova). Also, there are 3 flats of coleus, one flat with cuttings from last year's favourites and the other 2 with new seedlings. I'm trying for ones with a lot of yellow in the leaves but not having much luck. But I do have one rather small and weak one with almost completely black leaves. Probably the colour is why it's not growing very fast (not enough chlorophyl),but it seems healthy. I also have lots of baby primulas of 3 kinds. Two sets are in the cold frame as they are from last year, and the others are auriculas from this year. I got the seeds from France and had quite poor germination so I'm watching the plants I did get really closely. For unusuals, I have seedlings of things I collected in parks and nurseries locally. They didn't care if I collected seeds, so I went wild! Now I have red yuccas, pineapple lilies, phormiums, pearly whites (a local wildflower) and eryngium agavafolium.I also have 3 different kinds of penstemons, but while growing, they're very slow and tiny. Let's hope at least some of them survive!
    ...See More

what's the most divisions at one time have you done to a plant?

Q

Comments (5)
    I think a lot depends on the plant. And how well the plant handles having its roots disturbed. I had a shasta daisy alaska that I divided this spring. It was probably 12-14" diameter. I must have divided that into close to 25 divisions. And at least half of those divisions bloomed this year - granted each division only had 1 or 2 blossoms. But considering I bought this as a little 3" plant 3 years ago - I would say I got my moneys worth! Siberica and Day Lillies are other plants that seem not to mind being divided into tiny divisions. Last year I was dividing tons of siberica. After dividing, I ended up with tons of spare root clumps. I buried the root clumps, and lo and behold got plants this year! Whenever I divide day lillies, if I have any additional little bulb things, I just plant them somewhere. It may take 2 or 3 years to get blossoms from these little bulbets - but I'll take delayed blossoms over the compost heap.
    ...See More

How many of you have done this?

Q

Comments (17)
    Dave, We are in the same boat. My job has been transferred to Columbus, Ohio. We currently live in Warren County, NJ. Our house is sold and we purchased a house in Columbus. We close on both at the end of January. Here's the kicker, my son is a senior in high school and we promised him that he could finish school in NJ. So, we are now looking for a short term rental for my DS and DH. I will relocate to Columbus at the end of January and come home on the weekends until DS graduates. When we put the house on the market in late September, we didn't expect it to sell as quickly as it did (3 weeks). We thought that we would wind up taking the relo buy-out offer thus stretching out our time here in NJ. We are blessed that it sold! Good luck in NC. DeborahNJ
    ...See More

How many times did you have to reschedule your movers?

Q

Comments (4)
    We "only" changed the hard date for the movers once, but changed the soft date twice. Seems like builders are all optimists. For some reason, they are eternally certain that all subcontractors will show up on time, do everything exactly the way they're supposed to, coordinate perfectly with other subs, and clean up after themselves -- even though they never have before!
    ...See More
  • wildchild2x2
    8 years ago

Never. Knock wood. I don't use covers or skins either. All my cell phones have lasted until they were almost obsolete. I'm on a Samsung Galaxy S 2 right now. Heavy user. It's my right hand. But I don't put them in my back pocket either. They stay in my little purse or a cell phone wallet thing that I clip to my belt loop with a carabiner.

• Michael
    8 years ago

But then, I am not a perpetual fondler of the thing like most people seem to be nowadays.

A bit off topic but I have to share it.

I took two of the grandkids to bounce house yesterday for a one hour jump session. There was a young mom there who swiped and scanned her iphone at least 60 times during that one hour session. WTH was she looking for?

• plllog
    8 years ago

Maybe she was the family friend and was looking for the mom to say she was coming to get the kids?

So sorry for your loss, Bossyvossy! I'm also not a fondler, but I have dropped my phone, including practically flinging it to the floor a time or two when it was in a fold of a blanket or something. Touch wood and tell the fairies, I haven't had an issue, even with cases chosen more for their looks. I do tend to scratches and digs, however, so always have a screen protector on. Those are easily discarded and replaced. :) And they might help with shattering too.

• jemdandy
    8 years ago

I accidentally smashed my wife's phone. I drove off with it on top of my car and as I hit the increased speed limit of 45 mph, it sailed off and the car behind me ran over it!

• Lindsey_CA
    8 years ago

I haven't ever wrecked a cell phone. But, many, many years ago I had an itty bitty Nokia cell phone that I really liked a LOT. I had moved on to a newer phone, and Hubs had managed to kill his phone. Since we're on AT&T the phones use a SIM card, so Hubs took his SIM card and put it into my itty bitty Nokia and was using it until he decided which new phone he wanted to buy. He managed to drop the itty bitty Nokia and break the screen. I'm crushed to this day over it. I know I would never use that phone again because it's from before the days of the "smartphone," but I really, really, really liked that phone and I'm ticked that it's wrecked.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    8 years ago

I think that it's time to review your habits with the phone and see of you can change them. Neither my husband nor I have ever broken a phone and his is used rather roughly.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    8 years ago

Neither of us has ever damaged a phone. Hubby uses otterbox on his I have an otterbox for mine but currently have a speck case on it. I don't handle my phone much, it is either in my purse or on the bookshelf. He has his in the otterbox clip case on his hip all day then on the bookshelf.
    I agree you need to evaluate your handling and usage especially if you broke a phone in an otterbox

• Elmer J Fudd
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

My first device was a monochrome Blackberry with a larger keyboard than screen and I'm not sure it even had a phone. That must have been 15 years ago, so maybe 7-8 new devices of two-year terms of which two were dropped by falling out of a front pants pocket. One went swimming in a toilet, the most recent one landed face down on a tile floor and the screen cracked into a gazillion pieces. It had a plastic "screen protector" on it that kept the pieces in place but it cracked all the same. I had just come due for an upgrade so it was a reminder to get down to the store and get a replacement, done the same day.

I've gotten insurance since the first incident to avoid getting aggravated should or when it happens again.

• Texas_Gem
    8 years ago

My phone is always on me, been dropped a few times but never been broken thankfully.

My last phone though, I had given my toddler a bath, had her standing on the mat wrapped in a towel while the tub was draining and when I stepped in the other room to grab her pj's I came back to find her "washing your phone mommy".

Yeah, THAT was fun!! Thankfully I was due for an upgrade from my cell company and I had an android so all I had to do was put in my email address and all my contacts and calendar were there.

Lindsey- I can relate. Back when everyone had a Nokia 5160, I splurged and got a tiny little LG flip phone. I had it for 4 or 5 years until one day hubby was walking in the house, hands full, holding it with his shoulder. It slipped and broke. I still miss that phone, even though it wasn't a smart phone.

• marilyn_c
    8 years ago

I ruined one by leaving it out in the rain.

• grandmamary_ga
    8 years ago

None, but we don't carry our phone in our hand like the younger people do. My granddaughter has broken hers at least once.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    8 years ago

I carry my phone in my pocket so that it's on me 24/7. It's because I have aging parents and a child. It's great for answering questions, like, when does TRI start tomorrow? Or I get a text from my mom who is trying to refinance her home, to go look at the email her banker sent-two things at one time and I don't have to go find a computer. I admit it, my current phone has a cracked screen. But just this once. I don't carry it in a protective case because that'd be too bulky. I don't have an expensive phone. It's a $15 non-contract phone (for which I pay $25 a month for unlimited everything. I don't understand why anyone would have a contract these days). And I love it. Typically, my phones have had to be put out to pasture because of dying batteries (used to be able to replace them) or moisture issues. I had my phone in my pocket while outside at a band contest in pouring rain last Saturday. Drenched! I dried it off, but I bet you anything, it'll start dying soon.

• OklaMoni
    8 years ago

Never, but I also just have a phone! Flip phone. I hate the fact, that just a phone is no longer available.

• User
    8 years ago

I have just a cheesy 1980s flip phone and refuse to get one of these iPhone/smartphone/galaxy whatever things. I also most of the time forget to bring my cheesy 1980s flip phone with me. I really dislike cell phones.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    8 years ago

The missus insisted that I get one of those things. At home it sits on the counter. When I leave, it sits on the seat next to me. The only time I carry it is between those two places. I charge it on the counter. I actually placed one call on that thing in September! Wow!

• caseynfld
    8 years ago

I've never broken my cellphone. I dropped it once but it was fine.

• JoanMN
    8 years ago

We've never broken any, either. Thankfully.

DH has an LG flip phone on Verizon prepaid towers through TracFone. Paid $8 for it at a Dollar General. I have a Motorola Droid Turbo with a Verizon contract. Paid $200 for it, and supposedly it's an $800 phone. DH's phone gets better reception than mine, which really ticks me off.

• bossyvossy
    Original Author
    8 years ago

@ravencajun, how does a klutz evaluate handling/usage? It was in my backbpocket, was taking it out and it flew like a football. I will call otterbox.

• bossyvossy
    Original Author
    8 years ago

To the clumsy phone droppers, be brave and post here. Don't let me be the only one, lol

• mawheel
    8 years ago

My TrakFone only makes/receives calls and lets me text. I bought a year's worth of days and minutes, have three months to go, and still have over ten hours! Most of the time, I either can't find it or forget to turn it on. Oh yes, I have dropped it once or twice, too.

• Texas_Gem
    8 years ago

bossyvossy- Just remembered that last year when I was re-roofing my house, my phone fell out of my pocket, slid down the roof (I was at the ridge) and then dropped off and fell to the ground!

Im not sure how it didn't break but that did cause my breath to catch!

Not to many can probably say that right?

• bossyvossy
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Just called otterbox and they will send me a new otterbox but not pay for phone. It would be like expecting for helmet maker to pay for head operation if something happened. I guess that is reasonable enough. Don't plan to replace phone right away but otterbox replacement is open-ended. They are pricey so I'm content. We do have a guy nearby that replaces screens for $99 but so close to end of contract I doubt it makes economic sense. And no more stupid contracts!

• angelaid_gw
    8 years ago

Wow! I've never dropped, or broken, my phone. *knocks wood*

• chisue
    8 years ago

Our cells only 'travel' when we're out of the house -- which is not so much for Seniors. Never had to replace one.

Texas_Gem -- Just shows the generation gap when I wonder why you would have your cell phone 'on you' while bathing a child. Do you carry it all your waking hours? Maybe you were expecting an important call and didn't want to leave a child in the tub alone?

• Texas_Gem
    8 years ago

chisue- you are right, it is a generation gap I'm sure.

I've never had a land line, I bought my first cell phone when I was 18, I grew up with the internet, the thought of being unreachable or unable to reach others is unimaginable to me.

Honestly I can't remember why I had it with me, most likely because I always have it in my pocket and I took it out of my pocket and set it on the counter while I was bathing her so it wouldn't get wet! Go figure!

I do know why I had it on the roof when I was laying shingles last year. My kids weren't feeling too well that morning when I took them to school so I had my phone with me in case the nurse called and I needed to go pick them up.

• blfenton
    8 years ago

OT - Wow - glad I don't have a cell phone. One less thing to worry about taking care of in my life. :)

• bossyvossy
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I have it w/me most times though I don't do FB or twitter. I love to have it by me when watching TV. If movie moving slow, I google the plot, read it, and if as uninteresting as I suspect, I switch channels w/o feeling like I might miss a good plot climax b/c I got impatient. One of those tiny benefits from being glued to the phone, when I'm not dropping it....

• Texas_Gem
    8 years ago

bossy- my mom refuses to use a smart phone, or even the internet for that matter and I'm convinced it is just because she is being obstinate for the sake of being so.

She will look for a phone book to look up a number, will drive to the library to search an encyclopedia when there is a computer right in front of her, etc.

Having the skills to research is important but refusing to use modern technology to aid that research is just silly in my opinion.

Even if all you are researching is whether that movie is good or not. ;)

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    8 years ago

And I am glad to have a cell phone. One thing to take care of many things :)

• Elmer J Fudd
    8 years ago

Many consider smartphones to be the most useful item they own. For many, it's an essential tool of their jobs. Whether because of the use of specialty apps, internet access, GPS directions, calender, address book, email, etc., it doesn't matter, they are a Swiss Army Knife of key functions in a small package. Sure, there are lots of frivolous and dumb things people do with them. That doesn't diminish how useful and essential they are to others.

Some don't need, want or can't afford more than a basic phone or no phone, that's cool but I'm not sure why those who feel that way think it's some kind of badge of distinction.

Mine is with me at all times, I use it a lot, and will never be without one. No Facebook, Twitter, or other social media, just the basic useful stuff.

• bossyvossy
    Original Author
    8 years ago

How many times have we all watched a movie where there is impending danger and you say to yourself: "dang, where is their CELLPHONE????" lol

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    8 years ago

I am glad otterbox did agree to replace the case. I have to give them props, every time I have ever contacted them they have been incredibly nice and generous. My husband has had the cradle the phone clips into and the clip part of that piece break a few times and they don't even ask for any kind of proof of purchase they just happily send me a new one. It is nice to do business with a company like that.

• plllog
    8 years ago

Ooh! I've had that thought, then catch myself and check the date of the movie. :)

I have a friend who hates cell phones but finally figured out he needed on in the car in case of an emergency since there just aren't a lot of pay phones around anymore. I just asked him if he'd called the other day because the ID said a place he might have been in, and he rarely leaves messages. He informed me that no, he doesn't use pay phones since he got the cell. It still lives under the backseat of his car, but he does use it! Welcome to the 21st Century! I was so delighted when I got that first Motorola in the early '90's, with an extra thick battery, and I was unchained from the half dozen phone numbers when moving around, and having to be within ringing distance of my desk to be able to work! Go to a conference, sure! Meet at a vendor? No problem. Oh, the joy! When Psions (palmtop computer) first came to the U.S., I got one of them too. Email on the road? No problem! Update a spread sheet? Nothing easier. Now they're mashed together and, like, an eighth of the volume in size, in one little smart phone.

I love that l'il ol' smart phone, though I use it far more as a mobile data platform than a phone (those routine calls are almost all e-mails nowadays).

For those going forward with cracked screens, just please be very careful of your fingers!

• ntt_hou
    8 years ago

I too just have a basic phone which is all I need. I dropped it a few times but haven't broke it yet. The worst that happened was the battery popped out but it didn't break.

I remembered at one time, how people were after the smallest size cellular phone available. It would be lighter and made it easier to carry in a bag, pocket, etc.. I was one. For these reasons, I still don't want a big cell phone. My purse is already packed as is.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    8 years ago

Speaking of smallest phones, anyone looking forward to flexible/bendable phones?

Samsung's amoled

foldable phones?

• Texas_Gem
    8 years ago

I'm married to a geek/IT engineer. I'm sure at some point we will have those rob333.

I already have to reign him in from constantly having the latest and greatest. It's impossible (and far too expensive) to ALWAYS have the newest technology.

• bossyvossy
    Original Author
    8 years ago

that's DEFINITELY the one this klutz needs. The first gift DH ever gave me was a cell phone. He said he needed to know I could call him in case of emergency or needed help somehow. That very instant I knew he was a keeper.

• blfenton
    8 years ago

Oh it's not a badge of distinction at all. I just want to be left alone when I'm out and about and honestly, I'm not necessary enough to anyone that I have to be reachable at all times. And, it is expensive, at least in Canada. What I would love is a pad (I think they're just about to the size that I want) that is the size of a cellphone for internet connection. I do love my internet because I google everything constantly.

And then, like today when I was away from home for 5 hours doing errands, I can check in and see what you guys are all up to.

• marylmi
    8 years ago

The only time I dropped my phone was when I had received my new LG Power Smartphone and was taking it out of the shipping box...and dropped it! Fortunately, it was still in the packaging and works fine. My first smartphone and I love it! :)

• ntt_hou
    8 years ago

@Rob333...

Now that would be something going on the right direction for me. It would be perfect if it also fold to allow an actual keyboard. I just don't like those touchscreen keyboards; they just take too much space from the screens.

• User
    8 years ago

Never here too. I'm kind of surprised at what I'm reading wow! 4 times! Yikes Bossy!! Ha!

Now I can see why I'm asked so many funny questions when I'm trading in my phone...do you have a cracked screen? No, Other than a cracked screen is anything else cracked? No Can your devise be turned on and off? Um, yes of course! LOL

My dog did crack my ipad screen though...one big I'm happy tail whollup and it was over.

And while DH has never broken his personal phone, last year he had his work phone in his shirt pocket and as he leaned over to flush the toilet it fell in. whooops!

• sheilajoyce_gw
    8 years ago

Nope, I have an old flip phone. Retired, so don't need work connections. My monthly bill is about $16, much cheaper than my kids' smart phone bills.

• cynic
    8 years ago

Dropped them a number of times. Never damaged them beyond the odd scratch from hitting rocks.

• liz
    8 years ago

well...I didn't used to be until I got the 6plus Iphone...I was outside putting air in my tires and was worried it would fall out of my pocket...so stuck it down my shirt...danged if it didn't fall out..right on gravel....hubster always buys insurance so it cost me 79.00 for a new phone...I use glass covers for phone and an otterbox so that helps me immensely!

• bossyvossy
    Original Author
    8 years ago

do you remember how much $ was for insurance? If I paid my guy $99 ea for replacing 3 times, ins. might have been very worth it. We hate insurance, something about making me act on fear of what will go wrong, which of course, happens. But I don't like it!

• Elmer J Fudd
    8 years ago

Check with your carrier, maybe $5-10 per month. There is usually a deductible to pay ($100 or less) with an insurance claim.

The reason to get insurance is that without it, if your phone is lost or damaged and you have time left on your contract, you may be faced with two choices - paying out the contract (with no phone to use) or having to pay a non-contract price to get a new one ($400-$600 or more).

• Jodi_SoCal
    8 years ago

When I upgraded last year from an iPhone 4S to 5S I got such a great trade-in price on my old phone ($220) that I splurged and bought a glass screen protector (Zagg Invisible Shield) for $40. It comes with a lifetime warranty.

Fast forward one year later (last month) ... while sitting shoulder to shoulder in a small rocky bird blind with 16 other bird photographers trying to shoot pics of a rare bird family, my employer called. I struggled to pull my phone out of my pocket. I opted not to put it back in my pocket for fear I would knock over $20,000+ worth of photographic equipment on each side of me.

Time passed and by the time I got up to leave, I forgot my phone was on the ground between my legs. I stood up and hear a loud and very disconcerting ... crunch. ugh.

I run to the Sprint store to report the damage. They had me contact Zagg who promptly sent me a new shield at no cost. Sprint installed it and I was back in business, thrilled that my actual phone display didn't have even a scratch on it.

I also have a thin custom cover for the sides and back with one of my favorite bird photos and my email address in case I should accidentally leave my phone somewhere.

I'm on the trail all the time taking photos and like to have my phone conveniently located for quick videos and wide angle shots so I always stuff it in my pant pocket. The Otterbox is way too thick and bulky to fit in any of my pockets.