SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ordphien

Fragrant suggestions for my new back planter.

ordphien
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

So... Last year we lost a huge branch on our pine. And it crushed our wall. We rebuilt the wall, and built a raised planter at the base. We love it so much that we decided we should do the rest of the planters that way.

We were going to transfer the plants. But... My pine dropped another huge branch. Then we got it trimmed back.

I have alot more sun now. Not too sure if I like it.

All that combined... I only have a few plants left. A gardenia, a rose mallow, a blue butterfly bush, and a slow growing vine.

So I'm looking to fill the space with new plants. I know I want a camellia, and hydrangea, but other than that I'm not decided on anything.

The requirements I need to fit are, acidic to lightly acidic soil, part sun. There's more sun than shade right now but the trees will fill out.

It can't have cold requirements. It doesn't get cold enough for long enough for alot of things in my area. Warm growing tropical plants also don't do well. It may not get cold for long but it does dip into the 20 - 30 range for a few weeks at night.

And these two are really important. No dry winter rest. That's our rainy period. And must be able to withstand our 9 month growing season. That may not seem like much but alot of plants give up after a few years because they can't rest.

I'm looking for bushes, shrubs, long lived perennials, and perennials, between 1 to 4 feet. Preferably evergreen. And fragrant.

I'm really hoping to fill my yard with more fragrant things this time.

But if you have something that you think is a must have, Please suggest it!

Sorry that was so long.

I forgot to say.things that get tall but stay kinda narrow are welcome. As are anything that can be trimmed down to size.

Comments (7)