SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stinkypoop

caulk over tile dilemma -- need pro advice or for hire in NYC

stinkypoop
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I'm really at a loss as to what to do here. I understand that (a) the tub-to-walltile joints should always be caulk because it's a change of plane, (b) one should never caulk over grout, especially in this location, since it's a surefire recipe for mold.

My contractor installed the tub tile and it rests directly on the tub edge. For the tiny hairline spaces between the tile and the tub (1/16" or smaller), he decided it was a good idea to grout it with the intent to caulk over it later.

Now I understand the proper thing to do in these instances is to remove the grout, pack the space with bond breaker tape or a closed cell backer rod (per Laticrete support's advice), and then only use caulk in the joint. But as you can see, there's not much room here for the inserts, let alone the caulk. I'm not even sure the grout can be removed in such tight confines.

What is the best thing to do here short of pulling out all the tile and recutting? That's not really an option unfortunately. Behind the tile is cement board, then some black waterproofing coating that was painted on, then thinset mortar, and then the tile. All of this sits on top of the tub edge as far as I can recall.

I desperately and deeply appreciate any help you all can provide!

Comments (24)