SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
flowerlilies77

How to repot, deadhead or not & propagating Echeveria Coccinea

I found this beautiful succulent that stopped me in my tracks at the local grocery and juse had to have it. It is the 1st succlent I'm adding to my beloved indoor container garden which mainly consists of orchids and spider plants. I'm completely new to succulents but have fallen in love already! I will be adding many more to my indoor container garden as I can...there are so many beautiful & interesting ones to choose from! The one I have a bunch of questions about is an Echeveria Coccinea (on the label it was called a red velvet echeveria). I will be keeping it strictly indoors.

(A photo from when I purchased it about 2 months ago)

I know that the medium it came in can't be good for it. It is hard, really compacted & seems to have mold starting w/really tiny bugs that I can see on the top. I just ordered new soil made in small batches especially for succlents/cati that I plan to use to repot it in the next few days whend it arrives.

(the medium it's currently in)

It came in the generic plastic green pot that is 4 1/2in tall & 3 1/2in diameter. I want to repot it with the hope to keep it beautiful & alive!!

*What is the best way to take it out of its current hard medium w/o damaging the root system?

*How to tell if any roots have rotted & how to deal with that?

*If I need to cut any roots do I need to put anything on the cuts to prevent infection before I repot it?

*What size/type of pot to replant it in?

It's current size is about 11in tall from the base of the soil with about a 10in spread. Has just about an 1in thick base (not sure on the correct terminology).

*Do the spent flowers need to be deadheaded? If so, how do you do that? Do I just cut it at the base of the flower or take it down to a certain set of leaves?

I hope this all makes sense! Like I said I'm completely new to these beautiful succlents & don't know correct terms.

I would also like to try a propagate it since it seems to be getting crowded close to the base now (see photo below).

(photo from today)

*Since I am going to repot it in the next few days should I wait a certain amout of time from when I repot it to cut/propagate or can it be done at the same time?

*For propagating I was thinking of cutting here & here (see photos below). Are these good places to cut? If not where would you suggest?

*How long should I wait what I cut to callus over before planting?

*Finally, approx what size pot should I start the cuttings in & can they be put in the same pot or should I put them in two separate pots?

Sorry for such a lengthy post but I haven't been able to find much online about this specific succlent!! Any advise, links or anything else that will be helpful would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance for your time:)

Comments (6)