SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grasswhisperer

Whirlpool dryer won't start

grasswhisperer
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hi folks - we've got a run-of-the-mill Whirlpool dryer - model LER5636EQ0

It simply won't start. When we press the start switch there is absolutely nothing - no click, no hum, no buzzing.

I'm following this guide at RepairClinic for likely culprits:

http://www.repairclinic.com/RepairHelp/How-To-Fix-A-Dryer/1-5-111036-/Whirlpool-Dryer-won-t-start-LER5636EQ0

The first thermal fuse and high-limit thermostat shown in the guide - they both have continuity so I'm assuming good.

I found that the second thermal fuse listed did not have continuity, so I replaced, but to no avail. Still nothing.

The start switch has continuity when pressed in - I'm assuming good.

The door switch has continuity when pressed in - I'm assuming good. (they show multiple door switch for this model, but I believe there is only one on mine and it has continuity. Mine looks like the right-hand part shown in the first "door switch" picture.)

I believe the belt is intact - at least as far as I can see on the top of the drum. I have no idea if I have the kind of model that shuts power when the belt is broken.

This leaves the motor - BUT - the description says the motor would likely hum when attempting to start - but I've got absolutely nothing.

Any more guidance anyone can share? I'm not an expert but know enough to be dangerous and really determined to DYI this issue! :)

Many thanks.

Brad

Comments (17)