SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gooserider

Whirlpool dryer doesn't start, but hums

gooserider
17 years ago

Hi,

We have a Whirlpool dryer, probably around 1994 vintage, model # LGR6848AWO that has died on us.

It dried one load fine, but would not start when I put the next load in.

When the start button is pushed, I get a "Hum" but the drier doesnÂt start, however I have to turn the timer to off to stop the hum. Sounds like the hum could be coming from either the console or the motor, I canÂt really tell. The timer ticks the way it always does, and the problem is the same on all cycle settings.

I can turn the drum by hand, although it seemed stiff. Now that I have pulled things apart, the support rollers and idler wheel all turn freely. (As far as I know, they are original parts, should they be changed on the "while IÂm in there" basis?)

I checked the three thermal switches / fuses I found in the back. Two are OK (have contiuity), but I have one that IÂm unsure about. It has a part # 3387134 on it, and 4 wires going to it - two red and two violet. The red wires have continuity, the violet wires donÂt (also no continuity between either red and either purple). I canÂt find anything that says what I should see on the second pair of wires, they just say I should have continuity, with pictures of switches having two wires....

The other obvious suspect is that the motor may have died. The motor turns freely by hand, but didnÂt want to start when I was testing it with the machine open, however this could have been due to the thermostat mentioned above? I havenÂt been able to figure out the correct wires to try jumping to in order to meter or jump test it. There are 6 wires connecting to the motor - which ones are the AC power? The motor does not have the "cooked electron" smell or look burned anywheres. The motor has a block on it with 6 terminals numbered

1-6-3 on top and

1-4-5 on the bottom.

the wires are coded as follows -

1. Red - to gas burner

2. Red - from harness

3. Violet - into motor winding

4. Blue - from harness, second tab going into motor through a small black box (doesnÂt look like a starter cap, tests continuos)

5. White - from harness, to motor

6. Black - from harness

There is also a green to chassis ground from the motor frame.

I would probably have been able to figure this out myself without much trouble if I had a wiring diagram, but I havenÂt been able to find one. (any pointers?)

Thanks,

ART

Comments (4)