SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
malokd

Merillat Classic Review( Big time rip-off)

malokd
8 years ago

We just renovated the kitchen of the house bought and moved in 2 weeks ago. When going through the kitchen design process our kitchen designer had recommended ultracraft cabinets, but the price-point was too high for our budget and we decided to go with the Merillat Classic line. We ended up going with the Ralston design in a Cotton(white) painted finish. We saw the cabinets in the showroom and liked them.

After installation we noticed a number of things that really upset me considering the amount of money paid for them:

1) The larger doors were warped( even after much adjustment the majority of them don't close in a flush manner--either the top or bottom corner does not touch)--the larger the door, the more pronounced this is. We ordered replacement doors----they still have the same problem--one of them is even worse than the original door.

2) the shelving is a laminated particle board. The edges of the laminate were chipped or peeling in a number of shelves

3) Half the trim was a different shade of white--the difference was subtle and only noticeable once it was installed. We told merillat and new trim was sent---once again was the same off-color

4)The painting of the cabinets was poor with the edge grain showing through in a number of places on 50% of the cabinets

5) The drawers were soft close but the cabinets were not. Our contractor got soft-close devices for us an installed them, but for the price we paid they should have been included

We spoke to our kitchen designer( who did an awesome job designing the kitchen and has been really good overall) and did a walk-through with her. She is sending a touch up guy over, but who basically said this is the quality of the cabinets that Merillat makes at this price. That to me is very disappointing---had I known I would have gone with Ikea cabinets and lost some of the flexibility in terms of customization.

Anyone who is considering getting Merillat Classics--please reconsider!

Comments (4)