SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bobtownsuz

Need help - Vetrazzo countertop seam issue and incorrect order

bobtownsuz
8 years ago

Hi, I am about to have a Vetrazzo Emerald Coast countertop installed in my kitchen. This is the focal point of the kitchen and was a big splurge. Kitchen has an L-shaped area (with sink on one arm, stove on other) and an area on another wall with fridge and a little alcove beside it with a lower cabinet with approx a 2'x2' surface that also needs countertop. When I purchased the countertop through a local sustainable design company, I gave them all my kitchen drawings and was very clear about the L-counter and the alcove piece. However, they sent to the fabricator a copy of only the L-shaped counter run. Fabricator now says that to get the alcove piece included in the slab along with the L-counter, the seam can NOT be at the sink as I wanted, but must be in the corner of the L. This would be the largest possible seam! And this is the area that is most used for prep work.

Fabricator first said it would be ridiculously expensive to get another piece, so as to keep the seam at sink, but sustainable design store now tells me it can be done for an extra $125 (which is peanuts compared to the total cost of countertop). I told them get their facts straight and get it in writing for me.

My questions: does it matter if the seam is at the corner of the L? Should I insist on having it at the sink? It's not like Vetrazzo has veining that has to be matched. Still, a seam is a seam - big seam, more visible, right? Also, if an extra piece has to be purchased - shouldn't the design store that messed up the order cover the price of the extra piece?

Comment