SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jim1961_gw

Roses & Stuff #13 (2015)

jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Prayers for your daughter Straw! Hi Straw,Carol, and Sam...

Easy Does it is turning pinkish and the other bloom with short bent neck fell off today... Bloom opened Sept 13 until today... (lasted 14 days on the bush)

Comments (70)

• rosecanadian
    8 years ago

Good use of the water! Good luck!

Carol

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Funny story on how they told you your bird was male then it laid eggs...lol... Surprise!

So far so good with the rain.

My wifes daughter just had a baby boy just a couple hours ago... Rushed daughter to hospital and baby was born within minutes after arriving...

• Related Discussions

Roses & Stuff #6 (2015)

Q

Comments (119)
    I think that was a end of the year bouquet...lol... Notice all the blooms that was the year I grew Mister Lincoln in a large container until September when I planted him in the ground... OK I'll start a new thread.... lol
    ...See More

Roses & Stuff #7 (2015)

Q

Comments (98)
    That compost looks good, 3 yards for $60 is great bargain. Here the cypress mulch is $40 per yard, that's years ago. Thanks, Sam, for the pics of flowers in your garden. I don't have Heritage nor MayFlower so I enjoy seeing them. I love the deep colors of your cosmos. I used to have cosmos but the colors were faded pink in my alkaline clay, and I'm allergic to them (cosmos is related to ragweed). Wilbur is a delight to see, I wish I have a miniature stuffed-animal that looks like Wilbur to enjoy. My kid is into cats so I will have buy her a stuffed cat. We gave away her BIG stuffed-cat, but I'll get her a tiny one for her upcoming birthday. Your Mayflower is so big & lots of petals on that one. "Greasy" is good stuff. Salmon bits is greasy (high in Omega-3 fatty acids), but that gave 120+ blooms per flush on Bailey's Young Lycidas. To get shiny & glossy foliage, the fatty acids in cracked corn really helped with the shine on the leaves. To make such BIG blooms with zillion petals, more energy is required. What gives energy? Chemicals alone? No, I can't imagine sending someone to work with a drink laced with chemicals. I would send something substantial: fats & protein & fiber keep a person full, and it helps to give energy for roses too. Alfalfa is high in protein, fiber, plus some fat. Fish meal is high in protein, high in fat. Cracked corn is very good in producing zillion petals: that's high in protein, fat, fiber, and minerals. Red-lava-rock is solid, if there's acidic rain to break down, same with pea-gravel: solid minerals, if there's rain to break down. Fish meal is fast to break down, that works great for alkaline-tap for Bailey in LA. Fish-emulsion is even faster, since it has acid added. Acidic Cracked corn and alfalfa pellets broke down too fast in acidic rain, and gave my roses black spots, due to the release of acids. For acidic rain, I use ALKALINE & slower-released like red-lava-rock for potassium, and pea-gravel for a vast array of minerals. Below is Excellenz Von Schubert that Seaweed in CA grew In full-sun, fertilized with fish emulsion. Seaweed uses Gardner & Bloom organic potting soil for EVS rose, it blooms lots for her, despite her low annual rainfall of 11" per year:
    ...See More

Roses & Stuff #10 (2015)

Q

Comments (79)
    Very good planning, Jim. I get burnt out answering those questions in other threads .. your thread is more enjoyable (honestly happy with just a few stable friends). Sure, I learn too when I answer those questions, but I'm done with that, and I just want to relax. Although Prairie Harvest can take acid, I pushed it too much by putting more gypsum (calcium sulfate) and sulfate of potash (21%) .. and it got 2 leaves of blackspots in this humid & rainy weather. I forgot that Prairie Harvest gave me 2 blooms, plus 3 buds .. it secreted plenty of acid in doing so, time for something alkaline. I'm going to put Prairie Harvest into my alkaline clay. I messed up that pot with so many experiments ... I have to undo the damage. In contrast, Cloude de Soupert and Reve'd Or. are dark-green and going-nuts with pea-gravel, plus 100% healthy. The above experiment is to prove that having acidic pH doesn't help, it's SUPPLYING BALANCED NUTRIENTS that matter. I'm more relaxed on growing roses to do crazy experiments, and I don't care if they lose all leaves, as long as I learn something. I used to be so upset last year when my kid didn't get straight A's, now I don't care if she has a B. Life is about learning, and doing a better job the next time. If we don't make mistakes, we learn zero in life. There are so many myths in rose-world: phosphorus for bloom, Epsom salt, roses need it slightly acidic, and roses need spraying & nitrogen fertilizer. I honestly would be better off just ignore everything they say, and just the basics: fluffy soil & organic fertilizer. Jim, time for a new thread.
    ...See More

Roses & Stuff #14 (Oct Madness 2015)

Q

Comments (69)
    Jim: your compost gave Prairie Harvest great colors !! My 2 PH blooms in the pot had boring light yellow. High phosphorus shift blooms to the red-zone, that's why Cantigny rose park's Carding Mill is pink, while mine is light apricot. The rose park uses a high-phosphorus fertilizer, which gave red-splotchy dots on their Double-Delight. Jim: Time for a new thread, I switched to Windows 10, and it's easier to see with shorter thread. thanks.
    ...See More
  • rosecanadian
    8 years ago

C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S ! ! ! !

A little rosarian in the making!!! Did they choose his name yet?

Bummer - I copied a really cute picture from google images. This site wouldn't let it through.

Oh well.

If you do any hybridizing you can name a rose after him. :)

Carol

Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks Carol!

So far so good with the rain. We got 2.5 inches so far but no flooding...

Original Author
    8 years ago

Need prayers for my wifes daughters newborn. He has died once already and is having troubles after his birth today... Thanks!

Premature by 6 weeks...His name is Garran...

• User
    8 years ago

Thoughts and prayers are with you.

• rosecanadian
    8 years ago

Oh my goodness, no. :(

I'm praying really hard for him now. Come on Garran. You can do it.

• strawchicago z5
    8 years ago

Yes, my prayers are for Garran. There's always hope with faith. My husband was born 5 weeks pre-mature, still grew to be 6 ft, a competitive marathon runner & computer system analyst, great shape in his 50's. Faith makes good things out of little.

I don't have much of a garden: too many trees & too much shade .. there was this woman in Rose forum who used to make sarcastic remarks about my growing roses in partial shade ... then Illinois got hit by a drought & water restriction in 2012, she had problems, while I don't. Lots of advantages in growing roses in partial shade: Austin roses with zillion soft petals do better, plus more quality blooms & less dead-heading & saving time & money in watering. I would rather have a few quality-blooms for the vase, rather than all blooms at once, and tons of dead-heading to do.

I lean toward zillion-petals rose like Sonia Rykiel .. each bloom unfolds slowly, so I get a 1-month-blooming per flush. Compare that Firefighter, which I got 10 blooms open at once, and I have to give neighbors bouquets, before they wilt. Young Lycidas and Munstead Wood are on my buy-list, since both can take partial shade with fabulous scent.

• strawchicago z5
    8 years ago

Here's the Yves seedling with 2 different-color blooms: both pink blooms and red blooms on the same bush. Late summer I accidentally burnt that bush with double-dose of high-phosphorus NPK 4-10-7, plus salty-horse manure. Good lesson on what high-phosphorus did: broke out in BS, dropped all leaves, shorter-necks on blooms, plus blooms became smaller. I had to undo the damage by flushing with water, plus nitrogen and potassium fertilizer .. that was before I found the best-ratio of nutrients in rose-tissue analysis. Below Yves seedling was fertilized with chicken manure NPK 5-3-2, plus a sulfate of potash, pic. taken May 2014:

Original Author
    8 years ago

Garran is doing ok so far today... :-) Thanks for all prayers! Appreciated!

Hospital keeping Garran 2 weeks or so....

Our 4 year grandson Gunnar is here with us.

We had no flooding... Still raining but ground sucking it all up...

Great pic Straw!

Prairie Harvest bud today:

Earthsong bud:

My one sisters rose has a bud:

• strawchicago z5
    8 years ago

Nice shots of roses-in buds, Jim! Glad that Garran is OK. Being born pre-mature isn't bad. I remember a classmate in college who was born really pre-mature (he walked with a cane) .. but he was smart & great personality, and was the professor's favorite. While researching for roses to buy I found a great blog from Hedgerow roses, she lists her favorite roses for the past 5 years: Munstead Wood and Princess Alexandra of Kent are her favorites. She also stated that midges don't bother Munstead Wood.

http://hedgerowrose.com/rose-gardening/2015/03/27/the-last-5-years-roses-that-have-brought-me-joy/

I'm submitting my buy-list to Roses Unlimited today, last year I submitted late, and Austin roses were sold-out. I decide against Firefighter (iffy on winter-hardiness) ... and it was such a Japanese beetle-magnet when I had it. But I'm buying Versigny again (died on me, but my fault for NOT winter protect that one). My buy-list are: Munstead Wood, PAK, Versigny, and Young Lycidas. Japanese beetles can't enter jam-packed petals, so they munch on the outmost-petals only, which I can easily strip off, and kill them. This year is so wet that I killed less than a dozen JB, but in a dry & hot year, there's more of them, and they devour knock-outs & less-petal counts.

Original Author
    8 years ago

Only rose I have 100% decided on buying is Carefree Celebration and I already ordered that one...

Plum Perfect is off my list until I see more updates on its winter hardiness.

I'll probably still get Desmond Tutu and Fire Opal.... Not 100% sure yet...

I noticed Thomas Affleck trying to form a bud....That rose bush has been through hell this year but continues to look good... I think its going to be a great rose bush in the future...

Garran still doing ok and is breathing on his own now but he will stay in the hospital at least two more weeks...

• User
    8 years ago

Looking good

• strawchicago z5
    8 years ago

He looks good to me too. That pic. is so precious, it reminds me of when my kid was a newborn: she was skinny, but over 7 lbs, and 1-week late. Saw Fire Opal at Lowe's at 50% off second week of Sept., it had mildew on the leaves. I remember the name since you mentioned it.

Original Author
    8 years ago

That might be sort of like Thomas Affleck arriving here with BS and mildew last year from the vendor. Or Lowes environment induced it maybe?... But this year TA showed no signs of powdery mildew...

We actually do not have much trouble with PM here...

Only time I ever seen PM on rose leaves was on Thomas Affleck and TA arrived from the vendor with it... Then I had Mister Lincoln sitting in a pot close to TA then ML got PM...Then I placed ML near a Double Knockout and it started getting PM on a few leaves.. Other than that never seen PM on rose leaves here...

• rosecanadian
    8 years ago

Oh, Jim, I'm so relieved about Garran. I will keep praying for him. He looks kind of chubby (good thing) for a premie. That will probably give him some energy to fight.

You have a grandson with the same name as my dad. He's full Swedish. My mom is full Slovak. Are you Swedish? Gunnar is such a Swedish name.

Straw - that's a fabulous bush. So maybe you hybridized a rose, which then sported??? How cool!!!

The roses I'm buying are:

- Broceliande

- Parfume de Grasse

- Sweet Beauty (sport of Buxom Beauty)

- Zaide

- Chartreuse de Parme

Does anyone have any experience with these roses?

Straw - I got Munstead Wood bare root this year. I'm hoping the flowers get bigger, and the bush gets stronger. It wasn't bad for a bare root, though. Lovely color! I'm expecting more from it next year.

Carol

Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Carol, I am mostly German...lol... Thanks for prayers!

I have no experience with any of those roses Carol... Sorry... Disease pressure seems very high here so I have to watch what roses I plant... They must be very BS resistant and be able to adapt to our environment...

• rosecanadian
    8 years ago

Yes, lots of prayers sent for your baby grandson.

Carol

• rosecanadian
    8 years ago

SUCCESS!!!!!

The stamens spritzed out their pollen!!! I've never had that happen before.

What I did was keep them in the oven with the oven light on - I did this for about 8 hours. Then I took them out and let them rest for about another 16 hours. 24 hours total.

So I'm going to freeze the pollen, and keep going out to collect more every day. I hope to get enough pollen to fertilize more than one rose from each cultivar. Right now, there's probably only enough to fertilize four roses.

This is exciting!!! I've never had this happen before. SUCCESS!!!! Bwahahah

(I also posted this in the propagation forum)

Carol

• User
    8 years ago

Yay Carol , yes that is exciting. Thanks for sharing.

• User
    8 years ago

I hope Field Roebuck book I saw in the library can change minds of some of the roses chemical bullies to not use so many chemicals when growing roses, going into the future. What a great rose growing book I saw. One can only hope.

• strawchicago z5
    8 years ago

Sam: I read Field Roebuck book on container-rose-growing, lots of good recipes for potting soil & organic tips on controlling pest. Great book.

Carol: That's a clever idea to put stamens in the oven (with the light on) for the pollens to be released. I don't have the hot sun in late summer to ripen the rose-hips, so it's easier to pay $6 and get a bunch of rosehips from breeders in CA. The breeders in CA have the hot & sunny climate to ripen rosehips, but they don't have the rain to grow baby plants .. my clay soil high in magnesium is VERY GOOD in growing baby plants, magnesium is known to help seeds to sprout. In my kid's plant-experiment, the fastest & healthiest mung-bean plants are in my high-magnesium soil, fixed with gypsum & sand. MG-potting soil, seed-starter soil, and sand/potting soil TRAIL FAR behind my clay soil in plant's growth.

Drawback? I spent at least 1/2 hour per day killing weeds & baby-plants in my garden. Plants are invasive here, since their seeds can sprout easily in my high-magnesium soil, that includes dandelions, pink yarrow, Chinese chives. Rose-of-Sharon, Black-eye-susan, Russian Sage .. the list is endless.

Wow! Carol's rose-list has many exotic beauties (checked them out in HMF, the bi-color ones are stunning !!). I almost bought Chartreuse de Parme, then I spent time researching on that .. it's a wimp. The next year, I asked Pat Henry of Roses Unlimited Nursery, and she no longer sold that ... perhaps too wimpy as own-root. So glad that I have Stephen Big Purple, the bloom is similar to Chartreuse de Parme, but more reddish. Stephen Big is very vigorous, survived 2 worst zone 5a winter, and blooms late in October. Chamblee used to carry Lady Emma Hamilton as own-root, but they no longer carry that ... also a wimpy grower.

• rosecanadian
    8 years ago

Yeah, I have Stephen's Big Purple. It always seems to have some blooms - but never very many. But it smells wonderful. Never knew that about Chartreuse de Parme. But, hey, I'll try it. One never knows. Especially since it gets babied in the garage over winter.

Yeah, I've never had hips ripen here. It's quite discouraging. But my friend is going to have the mother plants, while mine will provide the pollen. Her roses are tougher being OGRs and rugosas. So I'm hopeful.

Carol

Original Author
    8 years ago

SUCCESS! Great to hear this exciting news Carol! Awesome! :-)

Garran became more unstable late yesterday into early today but is more stable now...

Cooler here today it never made it past 55 degrees...

• rosecanadian
    8 years ago

Come on baby boy. What a struggle he's putting up. More praying everyone!

Carol

• strawchicago z5
    8 years ago

Glad to hear about Garran doing well. Yes, I was praying for Garran while I worked in the garden this morning for 1 hour .. will walk with my kid soon to catch the sun.

Original Author
    8 years ago

Garran is doing very good now... :-)

• rosecanadian
    8 years ago

Oh that's awesome!!!! Well done, baby boy!!!

Please continue to pray for my daughter, Kedra. She's struggling with OCD. Thanks!

Carol

• strawchicago z5
    8 years ago

Carol: I pray for your daughter Kedra. I believe in prayers and angels who are sent by Jesus Christ to answer our prayers. I prayed so hard regarding my just-turned-13 child's baby-teeth slow to come out. The dentist recommended pulling 5 of them !! She already had 3 pulled out, it was painful. Then her English teacher asked us for a parent-teacher conference regarding her problem with writing under pressure. I briefly mentioned about her teeth being delayed, and the English teacher shared about her 2 children don't even lose their molars until high school, and the advantage of the longer they have their baby teeth ... less problems with cavities later.

For OCD, The University of Michigan Health System notes that the standard dose of chamomile steeped as a tea taken three times a day reduces anxious thoughts. I took Chamomile tea before bed time, yes, it's very calming & wonderful, but since I'm allergic to ragweed, I sneezed a lot. Chamomile is in the ragweed family. Chamomile is very high in manganese at 5%, and 1% in magnesium, and 2% in copper.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/beverages/4020/2

From Newsmax.com on OCD:

·Natural treatments for obsessive compulsive disorder include eating a diet rich in magnesium and vitamins C and D.

· Essential fatty acids and other important fats that belong to the omega-3 category are also beneficial in the treatment of obsessive compulsive disorder.

·Passionflower (Passiflora incarnata) is a well-researched herb that has been used for ages for treating insomnia, stress, and anxiety.

· Spirulina capsules are also excellent sources of nutrition and a combination of these capsules and herbs is applicable in all treatments for obsessive compulsive disorder.

From: http://www.livestrong.com/article/283572-natural-herbs-that-help-with-ocd/

St. John's wort, or Hypericum perforatum, is a perennial herb native to Europe. Traditional healers use the flowers to treat wounds, burns, gastrointestinal problems, backache, anxiety and mild depression.

**** From StrawChicago: Nutrition is my #1 hobby, I read at least 20 books on nutrition, versus only 5 books on roses. Fish oil works in deep sleep, but only for the liquid form, the capsule form contains less Omega-3 and takes forever to be dissolved. Spirulina has all the trace elements, it helps my allergies a lot. Whether an herbal product works or not depends on THE FORM IT IS IN. I am allergic to ragweed, and $1,000 de-sensitization shots didn't help, nor the prescribed or OTC-medicines. Years ago I tried stinging-nettle (tablet), it was useless (too slow to dissolve to make a difference). Then I tried a liquid-stinging nettle extract ... WOW! that worked immediately. I saved that $$ liquid-extract for my kid, and bought a freeze-dried tablet stinging-nettle, that works well too, but takes a bit longer. Freeze-dried herbs make it fresher & more effective, but the liquid form is best.

That's why chamomile tea works well, since it's in a liquid form. If there's an herb that is known to treat a condition, I would grow the herb FRESH, it's more effective. Take lemon-balm, known to induce sleep. I bought the tea .. had to make it super-concentrated, plus I didn't like the side-effect. Then I grew lemon-balm fresh, and ate the leaves. Worked 10 times faster, and zero side-effect. Freshness means a lot when it comes to herbal treatment.

Original Author
    8 years ago

We will keep Kedra in our prayers!

• strawchicago z5
    8 years ago

Livestrong.com wrote on magnesium and anxiety:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/553773-can-magnesium-stop-obsessive-compulsive-thinking/

"The mineral magnesium is essential to good health. Most of the magnesium in the body is found in the bones and cells. A physiological connection may exist between the amount of magnesium in the body and stress and anxiety experienced by adults and children with OCD. Low levels of magnesium may result in personality changes. Magnesium may also play a role in minimizing the release and consequent effects of stress hormones on the body, according to a 1994 study published in the "Journal of the American College of Nutrition."

My kid's gifted-program is very stressful. Big improvement from last year .. this year I am consistent in giving her spinach for lunch, magnesium-oxide-powder in her kefir & ice-cream, and fish-oil in liquid form. She sleeps really well, compared to the summer when I wasn't consistent in giving her supplements. I re-post the links where they document the % of calcium versus % of magnesium across the nation. Most cities are very short on magnesium.

Today I tested magnesium oxide powder that I gave to my kid: more than 1/4 teaspoon cause stomach upset. Advocates of other more expensive magnesium forms criticized magnesium oxide as poorly absorbed, but upon further research, I found an article written by an M.D., proving that cheap magnesium oxide is just as effective as the more expensive forms: glycinate, taurate, citrate.

From many years of taking magnesium, my verdict: magnesium oxide works just as well, but the form most tolerable and least side effect is magnesium chloride, from sea-water. RAW Almond milk and greens like spinach get my vote as the best source of magnesium.

That shows what's taken from nature is always milder than what's manufactured by chemical plant. Consider the most popular form of magnesium: magnesium citrate. Few people realize that citric acid is made from a black mold. "Instead, since the early 1900s, the black mold Aspergillus niger has been used to ferment starches to derive citric acid ... nearly all citric acid is made through mold fermentation with GMO corn." Both I and my kid broke out in rash with magnesium citrate, so we stopped.

Links on the magnesium levels in our drinking waters:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1495189/

http://www.mgwater.com/mgrank.shtml

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1495189/table/tbl2/

http://magnesiumeducation.com/magnesium-in-drinking-water

• strawchicago z5
    8 years ago

Last year I ate local cantaloupe .. didn't realize that variety of cantaloupe is closely related to ragweed. Had the worst allergic reaction, could not breath, could not sleep, I went through the entire box of Kleenex ... my face was inflamed. Then I made myself a Brewer's yeast milk-shake, it's rich in all B vitamins, and the inflammation calmed down, I was able to sleep. Since B vitamins quench inflammation, it's no surprise that it also helps with OCD. An excerpt from below link: http://www.besthealthmag.ca/best-you/mental-health/8-nutrients-to-help-beat-anxiety

"If you take individual B vitamins, also take a good B complex supplement to help prevent imbalances among these vitamins, which work together. Specific B vitamins have been shown to be deficient in patients with agoraphobia.

In a study of people with panic disorder, OCD and depression the B vitamin inositol in amounts of up to 18 grams daily was as effective and had fewer side effects than an anti-anxiety medication. This reflects my clinical experience, where I've found inositol to be very helpful with clients with obsessive and ruminating thoughts ...

Homemade bone broths are rich in magnesium, calcium and other vital minerals, with the added bonus that the gelatin in the broth enhances mineral absorption. Herbs are another source of magnesium. Try chamomile, dandelion, peppermint or sage herbal tea; make a salad using fresh parsley, nettles and dandelion."

• rosecanadian
    8 years ago

So now, my daughter says, "You didn't need to tell all these people about my OCD. I'm fine. I think I'm finer than I think I am." LOL

So, she doesn't want to try these other things. But thank you sooooo much for the info. What REALLY helped was the ragweed info. We hadn't realized that there is a ragweed family. She's allergic to a lot of things, and has constant allergies - even an itchy palatte that she constantly scratches until her mouth bleeds. So I showed her a link to the ragweed family -- there are a lot of foods in the ragweed family, including foods she really eats a lot of - bananas, cucumber (4 a day!!), potatoes!! So that was very helpful.

Yeah, I believe in the power of prayer and in angels too. Definitely.

Wow - that's quite an allergic reaction you had to the cantaloupe. Yikes!! Good think you knew what to do!! I'm going to get Raw Almond Milk for Kedra. That's a good idea.

Hey, good thing I regularly make homemade chicken vegetable soup. I didn't realize it was that good for us.

Wow, Straw, you know A LOT about naturopathy!!!!

Jim - thank you for your prayers for her. I'm still praying for Garran. How's he doing now?

Carol

• strawchicago z5
    8 years ago

Yes, Jim, please tell us more about Garran. A baby-boy is so exciting.

Carol: My 13-year-old girl also has ragweed allergy (not as bad as mine), she kept telling me bananas upset her tummy since she was a toddler ... she can eat cooked bananas, but not raw-banana. I can eat hybridized melons imported from a dry & hot regions like Israel or Arizona. But if I eat local melons (not hybridized), I get severe ragweed-cross-reaction. Cucumber and potatoes are safe for us, but bananas really upset our tummy, and cantaloupe is major sneezing, unless it's hybridized & changed genetics. Citric acid from lemons give me hand-rash, and the citric acid from black mold is even worse !! They put that nasty stuff in everything, from juice, to shampoo and hand-soap. Lots of people are allergic to that citric acid made from black mold.

Making RAW almond milk is super-easy: I put 1 cup RAW almonds in a blender with 3 cups water. First start with chop, then puree, then liquefy ... about 3 mins. Then I strain that through a wire-mesh strainer ($1 at the Dollar store). The solids I soak overnight in more water for a second-reuse. The liquid I refrigerate up to 5 days. After the solids are diluted & filtered the second time, I give that solids to roses .. they LOVE that stuff, since it has everything: potassium, magnesium, and calcium.

I have ungodly rash on my hands with these hand-soap. I scratch my hands until it bleeds .. Any recommendations for a mild & non-drying hand-soap without citric acid? Soft-soap is still too dry. Thanks for the info.

• rosecanadian
    8 years ago

Black mold?? Really?? Yuck.

Unfortunately my blender is broken, and we don't want to pay to get a new part for our Vitamix. Too costly right now. So I'll have to buy it.

Well, we get hand rashes from soap too. So my kids' pedatrician (long ago) suggested Dove hand soap. So we buy the Dove body wash and use that. We still have dry skin, but that's because we use dish soap once in a while at the sink.

Carol

• strawchicago z5
    8 years ago

Carol: I was at Walmart early this morning, and saw Dove body wash .. thanks for the info. I'm allergic to the oil in citrus peels. Curel lotion gave me intense itch, upon reading the ingredients I saw orange peel oil ... that's MAJOR RASH for me. Sometimes I forget and peel tangerines without wearing gloves, and it's major rash & scratching until I bleed.

I prayed to God this morning as I shopped at Walmart ... they put the most expensive lotion (loaded with chemicals) at eye-level. And the cheap organic lotion at the lowest shelf. I saw Udder Butter (tried that before, didn't care for the scent) ... but my brother (emergency-room physician) likes that for hand-cream. It's 1/3 the price of other lotions.

I saw only 2 packs of "Fruit of the Earth" Vitamin E skin care cream (cheapest at $2 per jar), so I bought that. WOW! For 5 years I tried many hand-creams, nothing worked (my second brother is a dermatologist, M.D.). But God answered my prayer this morning. The ingredients of "Fruit of the Earth" skin-care cream are: basic oils, plus vitamin E, Aloe Vera, Wheat Germ, Sunflower Seed oil, collagen, elastin. Made in Fort Worth, TX. Plus it has no scent !!

Yes, God does answer prayers .. and I'm praying for Carol's daughter Kedra. Intense itch on hands isn't fun for me, and that's worse with itchy palette for Kedra. Acids can trigger rash, be it citric acid (made from black mold), or acid from strawberries, kiwi or tomatoes. My skin is fine with 100% orange juice, it's the mixed juice with artificial citric acid that cause intense rash. Apple juice is just as bad, with a majority imported from China, loaded with pesticides .. then they add citric acid made from black mold. I once shopped for packaged juice for my kid's lunch, and every one of them has citric acid, or apple juice imported from China. I gave up, and just make 100% orange juice (from frozen concentrate) and give that for her lunch.

http://eatlocalgrown.com/article/13452-a-sour-deception-citric-acid-comes-from-gmo-black-mold-not-fruit.html

Original Author
    8 years ago

Garran lost alittle weight he is 4 pounds 13 oz but nurses said that is normal... Garran is 17.5 inches long. Garran has hair...lol... Garran is getting fed through his belly-button right now...But Garran is doing good!

Nothing much going on today besides a cloudy rainy day with it being only 45 degrees... brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

• strawchicago z5
    8 years ago

Thanks for the update, I'll be praying for that little boy ... I hope he doesn't feel any pain being fed that way.

Original Author
    8 years ago

Easy Does Does It leaves still look good here in October so I'm very happy with that... Now to see how it does in the future years...

Prairie Harvest has two canes that are over 3ft tall... I see no BS just the normal pre winter leaves turning yellow... So happy with PH too!

Earthsong also doing well...

Thomas Affleck doing very well too... So all in all we are happy with all roses this year...

My sisters rose shed most of its BS leaves and grew new ones so it looks a lot better...

• User
    8 years ago

Nice pics Jim. I think it must be lucky Pennsylvania rocks that make your roses so good. They work good for me. I will take the PA Turnpike to Pocono in June so I can get more PA rocks. Jim don't let the troopers know I am gonna borrow some rocks along the highway. Hehe

My Alnwick rose lost its Leaves but most came back.

Thanks for the info on citric acid Straw. That is alarming.

• User
    8 years ago

Wedgewood got bs and midge. Still blooming in October.

morning glories knockouts and tomatoes in October.

• rosecanadian
    8 years ago

Thanks Straw for the prayers. I'm still praying for your daughter. You sure open my eyes about chemicals, and things in food.

Jim, still praying for Garran. I'm glad that he's doing better. He's such a cute baby.

We had a snow storm last night. It was a howler of a night. The wind knocked over our large rain barrel. The yard doesn't look good...but we're expecting warmer weather . The snow is mostly gone. But it's cool out there. I was cutting down my perennials into little bits. I had my shorts on, a balaklava and a large sweater. Still lots to cut down, but I don't want to overdo it at one go and ruin my wrist.

Sam what do you think of The Wedgewood rose.

Carol

• User
    8 years ago

Hi Carol

Wedgewood is not hardy enough after my last two winters. I will try to winter protect it this year. It gets tall and skinny canes and the blooms tip down.

Original Author
    8 years ago

Great pics Sam!

Oh no the Pa State Troopers might put you in the pokey for taking Pa rocks....lol

Thanks for the prayers Carol! Garran doing good and still in the hospital.... My wife (Sue) and her daughter (Heather/Garran's mom) have caught bad virus's :-/ So hopefully they feel beter fast!

SNOW! Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

• strawchicago z5
    8 years ago

Carol: you have snow? Wow!! I admire your growing roses in a cold zone. Thanks to the river nearby, we are blessed with warm weather until today, Oct. 3 where it gets to the 50's, but it will be up to 70's again in a few days. Today is the 1st time that I didn't go out to work in the garden, nor walk with my kid, I went shopping instead. I really like shopping early at 8 am in the morning, much less people, so I can get the best stuff. If there's only 2 or 3 items left, it's good stuff. Like 2 Nutella jar left .. my kid eats graham cracker and Nutella for her lunch at school, plus a turkey sandwich EVERYDAY. Kids are funny, they don't like variety, they like the same old thing. I asked my daughter what she wants for dinner, she said, "don't make anything new." She doesn't like it when I try new recipe.

We once went with my nephew to Old Country Buffet when he was 8 years old. There were at least 6 different main-dish, plus 3 different soups, plus so many stuff in the salad-bar. He ate nothing but macaroni and cheese. My sister was mad, she said, "I could make you mac and cheese for 50 cents at home, why do I need to pay $10 just for that here?"

Sam & Jim: you two crack me up ... that's funny !! I pray for Heather & your wife Sue .. having a virus doesn't feel good. Which reminds me to make brewer's yeast & honey & milk for my kid. Epicor is an extract from Brewer's yeast which is clinically proven to boost immune system & lessen one's chance of catching colds with its high B vitamins. Those Epicor pills are sold $30 per bottle on Amazon, while $10 of Brewer's Yeast last me for 4 months. If I mix it with milk, plus buckwheat honey, it's really yummy. http://www.livestrong.com/article/287160-what-are-the-dangers-of-epicor/

" EpiCor's beginnings go back to the Diamond V Mills company in Iowa, which for decades has made a special yeast culture animal-feed additive that helped increase production in dairy cows. Over time, an insurance company noted that certain employees — the ones exposed to the yeast product — rarely reported illnesses. The company tested its fermented yeast in the lab and found the product had more antioxidants than blueberries."

Pink Peace, one of the 2 roses in my garden which is grafted on Dr. Huey .. really likes pea gravel: more petals & larger. Pic. Taken Sept. 30, when the temp. was over 75 & warm night.

• User
    8 years ago

Straw,

What is the name of the other rose?

It's cool. Wow

I like the traces of pink in the petals of the other rose with the light color from on the left. is that an Austin rose?

Original Author
    8 years ago

Nice looking bouquet Straw! Thanks for the links!

Our last two days temps never got out of the 40's...brrrrrrr Yep furnace has been running to keep it warm in here...

But looks like temps will improve: Toward end of week maybe Earthsong & Prairie Harvest will bloom... :-)

• rosecanadian
    8 years ago

Sam - looks like the Wedgeworth rose isn't something I want to try. Thanks for the heads up!

Jim - so Garran is in isolation, right? So he won't get his mom's cold? Really good news that he's still doing well. Awesome!

Straw - yeah, it was a horrible night for anyone/thing outside last night. Thought we might fly to Oz. My kids were like that - they wanted the same thing forever. Then I got used to cooking like that, and now they want the unusual and variety. So I have to learn how to cook all over again. LOL At least they can make a meal once in awhile when their university work isn't too bad.

Carol

• strawchicago z5
    8 years ago

Sam: The light pink is Sonia Rykiel. It's worth every single cent of the $27 that I spent on from Roses Unlimited. If I have to move elsewhere, would take Sonia Rykiel, W.S. 2000, Evelyn, Mary Magdalene, and my thornless Yves seedlings. Sonia Rykiel is VERY WINTER hardy, and low-in-prickles compared to some thorny Austin roses. Even the leaves are fragrant, like raspberry rose. The scent is top-notched. If people ask me, "what's a rose worth spending money for zone 5a, and winter-hardy, I would say Sonia Rykiel"

Knock-outs' winter-die back is severe, while Sonia Rykiel bloomed as early as Austin roses in May. It's a fertilizer and water hog, due to its zillion-petals.

Jim: Time for a new thread, since we are in October.

• User
    8 years ago

Thanks Straw

Sonia Rykiel at Roses Unlimited . wow great!