SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lightfall

fiberglass with integrated dark color vs painted on dark color?

lightfall
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I live in Wisconsin and I am building a new modern home. I like the look (thin frame) and finish (anodized aluminum) of aluminum windows but I am worried about "very bad insulation" even with a thermally broken model like the milgard aluminum line (sensitive to this after living in a mostly un-insulated single pane original 4000 sqft victorian for years and paying hundreds of dollars for energy each month)

I know that most people recommend the anderson or marvin all fiberglass windows but I have two very big reservations about these:

1: the interior color does not come in black in either model, I need a dark bronze or black for my interior design.

2: the marvins have a lot of buzz about their finish peeling off in a defective manner, particularly in the sills where it appears the finish they brag so much about has been known to flake.

I love truth in materials, which is why I like clear anodized aluminum so much, there is very little to fail. The fiberglass, if somehow the color were integrated into the actual fiberglass would be great but I have seen so many threads about brushmasters being in business for almost a decade repainting factory finish adherence issues for marvin and it turns me off to fiberglass in general ( [https://www.houzz.com/discussions/marvin-integrity-window-review-dsvw-vd~2630750[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/marvin-integrity-window-review-dsvw-vd~2630750) ). I just got done with a massive victorian restoration and I don't want to have to paint a darn thing again for the rest of my life after repairing that original exterior woodwork.

Any feedback is much appreciated.

I do not want to deal with rotting wood interiors when I forget to close them, which I will do. Last house had premium pella with all kinds of failing hardware and wood rot.

I do not like vinyl.

I am "on a budget" (who isn't?) I would not mind installing myself to save money.

Also curious about pricing for aluminum windows vs fiberglass.

Is there a cutoff where pricing goes up exponentially after certain size increments? Strategies for designing banks of windows in certain sizes to maximize cost efficiency?

Comments (16)