SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kcollier1945

1920's Mott bathtub filler is slowly leaking. Help!

kcollier1945
8 years ago

Our tub ran like a dream until two months ago, when contractors did work on our bathroom. They added the copper pipes you see (which btw I would like to change to something that matches the old nickel better without breaking the bank, ideas welcome!). Anyway, now, when I run water to draw a bath, I get a drip. The contractor was very difficult to work with unfortunately so when he said he didn't want to open up a can of worms with this old plumbing I told him fine, I would take care of it. Help!

In the attached photo that shows the bathtub filler from the side, that smallest connection point in the horizontal system bringing the water into the tub is the point that now leaks. I am guessing I need a new part? I have no idea. The entire mechanism in nickel-plated brass is made by Mott and probably dates from around 1922, when the building was built.

I've contacted a local plumber who only does antique work, but he hasn't gotten back to me at all. I'm trying to move forward as much as I can on my own, but I'm happy to get a plumber in here to help with the stuff I can't do (which is probably most of it). Still, I don't want to spend too much on this... I just want my beautifully functioning bathtub back, in a way that doesn't compromise it's old fashioned integrity! Yikes. Thanks so much for your time. I love these forums.

Comments (3)