SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ninjapixie

Need advice on what to do with hill in backyard

ninjapixie
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

We have a hill/slope in our backyard that has been covered with junipers for years. We planned on eventually pulling them out and replacing them with something nicer, but this summer has caused a lot of it to die off, and we are faced with having to do something sooner than expected.

Here is a panorama view of the hill (standing to the left side):

The whole thing slopes downward to the right, starting around that large tree trunk.

View from the right (evening sun):

It starts sloping upwards right before the grass ends. I haven't measured yet, but if I had to guess, I'd say it's about a 30° slope.

View from patio:

There is a path on the right side and in the middle (behind the crape myrtle trunks). I want to keep those path locations, but add some sort of steps or stepping stones to help hold the soil better. (I threw those couple of blocks down a while back to help keep stuff from washing down through those bare spots when it rained.) (Edited to add: we have dogs. Those paths are the natural route they take, so I'm just working with it instead of trying to fight it.)

I have plenty of more pictures from different angles and in different sun if needed, but I didn't want to post too many.

First question: Do you think we should put in a low retaining wall? Or just plantings for erosion control on the slope? What I have in mind is something low, maybe knee high at most, and would most likely be made of dry stacked interlocking modular wall blocks. Budget is tight right now, so I don't want to spend money on building a wall if we don't need one, but I also don't want to waste time/effort/money planting on the hill if it turns out we need/want a wall there later and have to dig stuff up.

What would you do? (Thanks in advance!)

Comments (3)