SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
trippcorbett

What grow light hood should I buy for a variety of plant heights?

trippcorbett
8 years ago

I've just bought a ground level condo that has a great patio outside and ~5x10 sunroom (2 side brick walls, 3rd wall is a glass slider into the living room, and a 4th wall that is a glass slider facing outside, 8 ft. ceiling, no ventilation in sunroom unless I leave one of the doors open). Over the summer I've accumulated two 3-4 ft avacado trees, two 1 ft avacado trees, a tomato plant, a flowering shrub type plant, and a 5-6 ft. peach tree. These have been happy out on the patio getting plenty of sun. With fall coming up, I want to bring all of these plants inside, but am worried that they won't get enough light in the sunroom, and am thinking about purchasing a grow light.

From the research I've done, it seems like I definitely want to use High Pressure Sodium 1000 watt bulbs. The HPS seems like it will help the plants continue to flower and eventually hopefully grow fruit. The 1000 watt seems necessary due to the large height variety I have in my plants resulting in me not being able to get the lamp too close to the shorter ones.

There seem to be quite a few different size and reflector hood types. Which is best for the plant mix I have above and area described? Next year, I would likely be adding some shorter blueberry plants as well. I would like to purchase the right light/hood combo to cover the whole area so I can fill up the whole 5x10 area in future years.

Finally, it seems like some reflector hoods are air-cooled. This may be a stupid question, but since I'm only going to be using the lights during the winter months (and could crack the outside door if needed), and the sunroom should be kept naturally cool from the weather outside/losing heat through the windows, do I need to worry about getting an air-cooled reflector hood? It seems like any excess heat could also just heat the condo!

Additional information is that I plan on turning the light on in the morning when I leave for work, and off when I come home in the evenings. The light would likely be on for 9 straight hours.

Thanks for any advice in advance!

Comment