SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
toxcrusadr

Curling Leaves on Pepper Plants, Distorted Fruit

toxcrusadr
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I searched the forum and found a lot of problems with SMALL pepper plants having curled up leaves from being too wet. This happened in mid-summer when the plants were two feet tall and very green and healthy. The growing tips (not older leaves) got distorted, curly and twisted. Fruit production dropped way off and the peppers were stunted, oddly shaped and some were covered with a brown film or layer. Like you would see if a pepper cracked and then healed itself, only this covered most of the small distorted pepper. There are no spots or dead leaves. The leaves are still very dark green.

This happened to two kinds of bell peppers but did not affect the adjacent serranos and tobascos.

I'm thinking maybe a wilt or virus? I also had a tomatillo (from a different source) that grew up tall and spindly and then got the distorted leaves at the top. In fact this happened first. It was pretty obvious it wasn't going to be productive so I ripped it out. I hoped the peppers would recover but never treated them with anything.

We had an extremely wet spring and early summer, and I have clay soil (beds raised 4" to help with drainage). Then it got rather dry for the second half. Tomato blight was terrible this year so I would not be surprised if this was a fungus too, but I've never seen it.

The season is pretty much over but I want to find out what it is so I can hopefully prevent it next year.

Comments (4)