SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tnflowerlover

Soil Test Help?

Carolinaflowerlover NC Zone 7b1 hour ago

So, I did my solid test as recommended by various people due to rudbeckia not blooming. Here is what I got. I am researching, but I would be grateful for insights. I noted how old the boxes are in (). For obvious reasons, it was recommended I use only N fertilizer in all areas and some lime in a few areas. I wonder what causes the phos and potassium to be so high and if I need to worry. Something is definitely wrong, as I have several plants that take 3-4 years to bloom or do not bloom after one year or are stunted.

I use Miracle-Gro soil in raised boxes, so very little or no clay is in there...except the yard sample, which is all clay with leaf mulch/soil dumped on top due to no topsoil.

I rarely fertilize. I do use willow/pin oak leaf mulch every fall and remove some in the spring (I leave most of it down in the hydrangea box). I used Miracle-Gro 2-3 times between April and June or July, but that was it.....I will not use it anymore. I occasionally use fish fertilizer on a few plants. I do use Holly-Tone every spring for hydrangeas. Otherwise, no fertilizer and no compost (I am trying to get a compost pile going).

I used my hands to get the soil (except the yard) and rinsed very well between samples, so there should no contamination.

I called my county ag office...nice, but not much help. Any help understanding how it is this year and what I should and should not do would be great. :)

======

Other (3-4 years old): Phos 108 K 96 pH 5.4

Hydrangeas (3-4 years old): Phos 510 K 91 pH 4.8

Front yard box (6 months old): Phos 73 K 87 pH 5.6

Lawn: Phos 99 K 158 pH 6.8

Comments (12)