SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hairmetal4ever

Walk in the park (pics) and collected acorns

hairmetal4ever
8 years ago

Went for a walk today on my day off work in a local park in Columbia, MD. Pics to follow.

Comments (62)

• hairmetal4ever
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Yeah, it does seem that Blackgum has 'caught on' in my town. Lots of small trees, up to about the size of the ones in the pics showing up around, so it seems just the last 5-10 years they've been planting them.

Obviously there are bigger ones in the woods, but I'm seeing more and more planted, too.

Just today I noticed some hints of color on the blackgum, sumac, and even sweetgum (mostly sun-exposed tops). Plus some maples, but mostly stressed maples so far (street trees, exposed/dry locations, etc). It seems just the 2 nights in the upper 40s/low 50s last week was enough to flip the switch on some of the early color. If we don't get some rain soon, things might just dry and drop. We went from soaking-wet in June, about normal in July, DRY since then.

• hairmetal4ever
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I wish I'd have gotten a picture of the sugar maple behind that Nyssa. No color yet, but a very majestic tree (it wasn't the one that had all the samaras on it, it had some, but not like the pic I got).

• Related Discussions

Nice Burr oak from Dax acorns

Q

Comments (17)
    Hmm...not sure if its a live oak at all. It appears to be a Laurel Oak, which can look like a Virginiana Live Oak from tree to tree. A couple of differences, the Tree in the photo has multiple trunks, Live oaks have a single trunk with spreading branches. In Laurel Oaks, it's not uncommon to have a multi-trunk tree. Both trees stay green year round and then push out new leaves in Spring, both have leathery leaves. However, in the Laurel Oak the leaf may appear a yellowish green or olive green in winter. Kind of an unusual new growth cluster for a live oak, havent seen that before, but I guess not impossible. It's not a Fusiformis, also a single trunk tree, but Fusiformis leaves are different from Virginiana and Definately Laurel Oaks. Fusiformis have the characteristic bump on the leaves from young new growth until almost fully mature, when the leaves smoothen out, and even on most Fusiformis there are some mature leaves that retain the bump. This s not evident on the leaves in the photo. Last, Fusiformis do not have that 5 leaf growth pattern, they are all over the place, but generally grow in two's with every new 2 leaves offset 180 degrees. Laurel Oaks grow somewhat more northerly than Southern Live Oaks, throughout most of Virginia, North Carolina and some maps even showing a tiny portion of extreme SE Pennslyvania. Laurel Oaks are more cold hardy, down to -10. Still even if it's a Laurel Oak, kind of rare for northern Kentucky. I would like to see an acorn from the tree, that would really tell a lot.
    ...See More

Young Oak with Acorns!!!

Q

Comments (23)
    I have several acorns on my Chestnut oaks, I have 2 Chestnut oak trees, they have put out acorns after just about 3 years in ground, maybe even 2 years, they grow hella fast, and NOW I am getting acorns on my Swamp White oaks, they may be about 7-8 years in ground from whips about 2 years old, SO Swamp white oaks will give you acorns in POSSIBLY about 8 years from planting til fruiting. and I also am getting small acorns from my Pin oaks and my Nutall's oaks and 1 Shumard oak tree. I am still waiting to see my Compton;s oak trees acorns, I do KNOW they will be rather big acorns, at least compared to most of the acorns from the PIn oaks, Nuttall's oaks and Shumard oaks, it seems like most white oak acorns are larger than the white oak acorns. Anyway, I hope that the original poster could come here and respond to all of these answers, it would help to see if my reply and all of these other replies have helped to answer the OP's question.
    ...See More

Walk in park (pics)

Q

Comments (4)
    I love your pictures..wish I had been there walking with you
    ...See More

Q. alba loaded with acorns..it isn't my tree...would you?

Q

Comments (55)
    I should've said that drying acorns is not an exact science. Over drying and they will lose their viability. Whether they are float tested and/or sunk for 24 hours to remove weevils... place them on drying racks or cardboard until they are surface dried and then place them in ziplock bags and put them into your refrigerator. If heavy condensation develops inside the ziplock bag, remove them and dry them a day at a time and return them to your refrigerator. Only until the inside of the ziplock bag shows mist-sized droplets of 1/4 to 1/3 of the bag are they ready. Any large water droplets and you must dry them more. My above statement of two weeks is what I have done in the past and I still had far too much condensation inside my bags. You would be much safer to go thru the process a day or two days at a time until optimal condensation is achieved. All the best, Dax
    ...See More
  • gardener365
    8 years ago

No color here yet, but you have a long ways to go, as-well. I'll be writing another story in three weeks!

Dax

• hairmetal4ever
    Original Author
    8 years ago

The only thing so far are mostly some blackgums and a few Sumac, and those are just showing hints. Those usually peak in early Oct even around here.

• hairmetal4ever
    Original Author
    8 years ago

BTW, I am officially INSANE. I pulled over to the side of the road today to get acorns off a Q. alba that were within arms' reach. A wooded area, not someone's yard per se. It was a large tree that had a few limbs hanging over the road about 7' high, so I was able to jump and grab a branch, and pull it down to get some. Got about 20 of them, plus the ones Poaky sent, and the ones I got Tuesday.

What's interesting is the size variation. The ones I picked today off the tree were greenish yellow and/or just turning brown, they popped easily out of the caps. They're more the size I typically expect with Quercus alba, as are poaky's. The ones I got at the park are about 30% bigger by weight. I'll be interested to see if they grow faster than the more typical sized ones.

There's another tree I want to look at as well. It's a roadside tree, at the edge of a farmer's field. Looks *almost* like Quercus alba leaf-wise, but a bit glossier than is typical, and the bark is almost more like a bicolor. I'll get a closer look, but I'm hoping/suspecting it might be a hybrid, or just a weird looking alba. It appeared to have a few acorns the other day when I drove by (it's fairly young, maybe 6" caliper).

• gardener365
    8 years ago

I always knew you were insane...

That's why I offered up my secret seedstashes/grafted trees... some time ago.

Dax

hairmetal4ever thanked gardener365
  • bengz6westmd
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hair, mockernut would be my guess.

Concerning the oaks, when living in Virginia, there was a small white oak (~40' tall) beside the house that looked everything like a white oak (acorns, bark, buds), except every leaf had very shallow lobes close to a chestnut oak. I guessed that it was mostly white oak, with a bit of chestnut oak in it.

• hairmetal4ever
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Saul's Oak, perhaps?

• hairmetal4ever
    Original Author
    8 years ago

BTW, passersby look at you like you're nuts, when you're picking acorns off a tree, with your car parked on the side of the road.

• hairmetal4ever
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Got these at a cemetery at lunch.
  • hairmetal4ever
    Original Author
    8 years ago

At least there were no graveside services, etc going on.

• gardener365
    8 years ago

That's why I stare back at them twice as hard!

Dax

• gardener365
    8 years ago

Beng! I see on an old thread (2007) you had planted a 'Millwood' Gleditsia. Do you still have it? A friend is looking for a few scions this coming winter. He's also looking for 'Calhoun'.

Dax

• hairmetal4ever
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Dax, I know what you mean about finding secret places to find acorns, etc. I found a nice grove of very nice albas at this cemetery. I have to go back later (my lunch break was over, which is why I only got a few) but I think I can grab a couple # of acorns from low limbs. Also some nice Q. falcatas and a probable coccinea, but the crops are lighter on those this year. Plus, oakwise I'm more interested in the whites in general this year for some reason. I also snagged a few Cornus kousa fruits, just for kicks, but I have as many of those as I need already.

Also a very nice and well-loaded hickory of some sort (my hickory-fu is rather weak). All I know is that it is NOT a Shagbark or Shellbark, based on the non-shaggy bark. I'll try to get pics of it.

• hairmetal4ever
    Original Author
    8 years ago

A side question - might take a southerner (or someone in zone 6b or south) to answer it - how do you know when Magnolia grandiflora fruits are "ripe" and the seeds viable?

• bengz6westmd
    8 years ago

Dax, the "Millwood" was advertised by OIKOS as a heavy pod-producer (I like the pods), then crossed w/thornless honeylocust to get rid of the thorns. It indeed flowers profusely, but unfortunately NEVER has produced a single pod. I don't get it. Maybe it needs a pollinator, or, since it was crossed w/standard thornless, lost its pod-producing characteristics. Or perhaps it's a pure male tree. So, I'm not sure mine will ever have any of the desired "Millwood" characteristics -- seems pretty much like a standard thornless honeylocust. Shown below w/longleaf pine:

• gardener365
    8 years ago

I sent an email to a friend hair regarding you mag. questions.

Dax

• gardener365
    8 years ago

Beng, thank you for the info. I'll pass that along. Would you please PM me so we may talk scions? I can't PM you since you haven't set that capability on your page.

Thanks,

Dax

• conifer50
    8 years ago

Hair: All Magnolia grandiflora seed should be mature now. You do not have to wait for "cones" to open and the seed dangling down on the tiny filaments. This is merely advertising for birds to "harvest and spread".

Just collect the cones and spread out in a dry place until dehydration exposes the majority of the seed but some hand work will be required to harvest all.

Once the seed are extracted just put in a pan with a small amount of water and the seed coats will decompose in a few days. I then place "the mix" in a screen wire strainer and hose it down until clean seed is all that is left. Only the seed that sink(sinkers) in a container of water are likely to be viable...discard the floaters.....Even the "sinkers" have a low percentage of viable seeds!

• hairmetal4ever
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks, conifer50! So basically, get a LOT of cones to get good seed. Got it.

• hairmetal4ever
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I didn't make it back to the cemetary, but this morning on the way to work, I parked at the entrance to a local hiking trail. Many white oaks, and one with a couple branches ALMOST low enough to reach hanging over the parking lot. I poked it with a stick and got about 4 to fall that were turning brown, and a couple green ones with the cap on. I found a couple more that were on the ground with "fresh" cap scars that I assume fell pretty recently. I even pulled my car close enough to stand on the bumper to get a few more.

Would I be crazy if I returned tomorrow with a stepladder? I should be able to score a few dozen at least if I can get 10 feet higher up.

• hairmetal4ever
    Original Author
    8 years ago

This thing is becoming something of a "quest" or an addiction. I went out at lunchtime to the cemetery. I was able to use an extendable pole (the kind you'd use for a window squeegee) and knock down about 100 acorns, 90 sinkers, 10 floaters. I had weird looks from a coworker when I was in the bathroom filling a bucket with water.

I was on my lunch break...I wasn't on the clock...hahaha...

• poaky1
    8 years ago

Hair and everyone else that pic of the tan nut in many post above is likely what I picked off the ground near me. I posted some more pics of that tree, there WAS a VINE so I posted pics high up in the crown, but those posted are the lowest I could take. So, it could be a Mockernut? What Hair has? Mine looks the same as in Hair pic above. Anyhoo, I've got 4 Chinkapin oak acorns, I can spare 2 if someone really wants to try them in their yard. I would imagine someone will hit the motherload somewhere as far as someone wanting a bunch of them. The squirrels are "in the know" where I found the 4 I have, but, there are still some greenies on there, not many though. Love those Bald Cypress tree trunks. poaky1

• gardener365
    8 years ago

Those are metasequoia girl ;-)

Gosh I had a haul of Heartnut's yesterday! Whew.....

Dax

• poaky1
    8 years ago

Really? I thought they were Bald Cypress. I know they are sorta related. I have 1 Dawn Redwood. It is shaped pretty "wildly", not the usual shape they take on. But, it is growing well, and the trunk is about 20+ inches diameter on the bottom, not at breast height. I would guess if you used a tape measure around the trunk about 2 ft up it would be 35 inches at least. Well, I will need to take a pic soon, to show. I guess you have no more heartnuts? I can get some seeds somewhere or seedlings if needed. I really should stop planting more trees, but, I need something on the south side of the house to help with future energy bills, I found some acorns recently, I have to plant some if the one acorns are from a hybrid (BurrX Chinkapin) this will make sense once your read my other post about those Burr oak caps under the Chinkapin oak(?) I took pics of, I have a space where a bunny ate my seedling last year, (good Metasequoia conditions) so I am not quite done with the trees yet. Later Dax and others reading this Poaky1

• hairmetal4ever
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Heartnuts? Got a pic? That's one thing I've always wanted to try to grow, but I always forget about them. What do they taste like, by the way?

• gardener365
    8 years ago

Yeah, poaky, I have plenty of heartnut seed. I'll send 1/2 a dozen or any amount. Let me know.

Hair: they taste like black walnut and are oh so easy to crack if you lay them on their side and tap them with a hammer. I crack mine with an old fashioned nut cracker that does hickory with a breeze or black walnut, etc-.

They definitely have superb flavor. Much more flavor than a Persian walnut.

----

Heartnuts from seed can produce hybrids... be aware of this fact. If you have a lot of black walnuts near them or butternuts or English/Persian walnuts... there's always a chance you'll get a hybrid.

Lastly, since I'm familiar with heartnuts and Persian walnut and they are my favorite within the Genus... for every Persian walnut I'd plant 10 heartnuts due to the superb flavor of the heartnut.

Dax

• hairmetal4ever
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Awesome.

I know there is a Butternut/Heartnut hybrid out there called Buartnut, I occasionally see them sold at various mail-order places.

I wonder if a Black Walnut/Heartnut hybrid might have resistance to Thousand Cankers. Which, so far, hasn't shown up here in MD - all the Juglans nigra around here seem healthy that I've seen, except for the late-summer anthracnose that often pops up (not too bad this year due to the dry August and September).

• gardener365
    8 years ago

Near where I collected these heartnuts is an immense buartnut. I don't care for it, personally. The tree is awesome but the nuts aren't for me.

The thing that inhibits Persian walnuts is walnut blight in my climate and I suspect the entire East Coast would have that issue, too. With heartnuts, that's not a concern.

Thousand cankers doesn't seem to be as big of an issue as it was first made out to be. I don't see it going very far to destroy vast forests of Juglans nigra. I may be incorrect about that.

Dax

P.s. Buartnuts have a real spiky shell & are a real pain to crack. Since I've only sampled from one tree, I really shouldn't be commenting about if others may have excellent flavor.

• poaky1
    8 years ago

Okay, I had another blonde moment Dax, I thought Heartnuts were what Dawn Redwood seeds were called. I see now what they really are. So I will pass on them. I have 8 Beechnuts. The critters have gone to town on them. If someone really wants them, or Dax if someone you know wants them, or you do. I sowed 2 myself, but have 8 fresh ones. Not sure if I can get more. Bye all. Poaky1

• poaky1
    8 years ago

Oh, the pic BTW. Beechnuts

• gardener365
    8 years ago

I'd surely/gladly take them. I have to ask though, have you cut any open to see viability?

Dax

• poaky1
    8 years ago

No Dax, I would think they are good, they are not dried out or desicated looking. If you want I will try it but, it would be ruining one of the very few I have. They seem like they have good moisture is all I can say. Should I cut one? Let me know.

• gardener365
    8 years ago

I've never had luck with European beech I've collected in arboretums where several beech were within close walking distance. I've always wanted to grow American beech, however.

Don't cut one open. I'll just sow them.

Is there anything you're looking for poaky?

Dax

• hairmetal4ever
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Beech nuts are often empty in my experience.
  • poaky1
    8 years ago

Dax, other than Dawn Redwood, which I could get cheaply if needed, I am not really wanting for anything. I just may get a few of those "tree in a box" things, If they aren't too expensive. I haven't bought one since I bought the one that resulted in the Dawn Redwood I have now, that was about 1996 when I bought the kit and sowed it. I had dug the tree up and moved it several years later. If that is too pricey, I think "Musser forest" in Indiana, Pa a couple hundred miles away, USED TO have them. Hair, these Beechnuts, seem really fresh. They were still in the spikeyballed cover, and they are not covered in a hard shell, like lots of tree nuts, ( I am guessing most peeps don't know this, if you do, sorry) the Beechnuts I have, have a kind of "fiberous skin" over them, once the spikey ball covering opens. They remind me of Chinese chestnuts. So I would THINK if they were dried out, you could tell. You likely could just peel off the skin, so if the nut is no good, it should be puckered in. I have only 8 of these, and not so sure I will find any more this season.

• gardener365
    8 years ago

Hey poak, I don't have any Dawn Redwood's at the moment. I haven't had any for a long time really and don't plan on growing or purchasing any in the near future.

Dax

• hairmetal4ever
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Beeches are all over here, and this year I haven't tried collecting any. I just remember a few years ago I got a couple dozen, and all but 2 were hollow. Maybe it was just the particular tree I was harvesting from.

Poak - I do have some Dawn Redwood seed if you want some - probably over 100 seeds left, I could send you a bit.

This year I do want to try baldcypress. When are the cones ready to harvest? The couple coning trees near me, the cones are still tightly closed - blue in color, and you can't see space in between the cone scales yet.

• hairmetal4ever
    Original Author
    8 years ago

One thing I might try, but almost certainly have to buy seed from Sheffield's, is Fagus crenata, Japanese Beech. Haven't seen one in person or for sale anywhere else.

• gardener365
    8 years ago

Don't quote me Hair but first make sure the cones are mature. Soak them in ice water and then air dry repeating this process. If each attempt opens the scales just a bit then you're on the correct path.

If that doesn't work (or try both at the same time) then place the cones in a paper bag and close the bag and put in a south window until (hopefully) the scales open. It may take several weeks.

Dax

• poaky1
    8 years ago

Hair, I will take you up on your offer, send me enough seed to possibly plant 3 trees, allowing for a bit of error, but not too much. DAX, I just got your Beech (Am) seeds mailed out today, I sent you 2 Q. Deamii also. You sent me the (Possibly) rare Q. Libani, so I thought it was only right to send you a couple BurrX Chinkapin hybrid acorns. Plant them, don't use for rootstock please. Even if your mom has room or somewhere that won't get mowed down, that is "Wild" and you can see it when it gets some size, a friends place. That far away corner where a neighbor needs to be blocked out or whatever. You are sure to know someone who would appreciate a kinda rare tree, I know you trade with lots of people. Later all, Poaky1

• poaky1
    8 years ago

BTW, Hair any tips as to when and how to start those DR seeds, and have the best chance of them doing best, let me know, thanks Poaky1

• poaky1
    8 years ago

Me again, Dax you know evergreens, if my Hemlock (eastern) cones don't open, would icewater help them? The cones aren't opening, besides a couple. I didn't offer you any cause you like the "odd shaped" evergreens I think. Poaky1

• poaky1
    8 years ago

Dax and Hair, me again, I just want to say that my "ooffer" is still hanging in there. Knock on wood (my dog), he is not wanting to eat, I force feed him kinda, he is only eating pure meat, and his sugar isn't usually high as a result of the mostly meat diet, but, he is going in the car for rides and coming up on the bed. He is going to be around a bit longer than expected, not sure how long but, we are taking his sugar, and giving insulin according to the blood sugar numbers. I am hoping for him to hang around as long as possible. He is still in kidney failure of course, but, we are trying to keep him with us until he is no longer having any fun (car rides) or being aware of his surroundings. His one side is sticking out, I am assuming from his kidneys, but, he is still aware and mentally present. As long as he is mentally present and happy, and can walk (however crooked his gait and slowly getting there) I am happy. Once he gets unaware of anything, and is not able to move himself, it will be when I will need to make hard decisions. He is about 170lbs now, and we won't be able to move him. If anyone thought good thoughts for him or wished him well, thank you, because he has bounced back sort of. I thought he was a goner again. I should've named him Pheonix.

• gardener365
    8 years ago

You're doing all you can do, and, that's what you should do.

Hemlocks - put the cones in a paper bag and at a south window. They'll open.

Thanks for the eggcorns and beech, poak.

Dax

• poaky1
    8 years ago

Your welcome Dax, Poaky1

• jqpublic
    8 years ago

Beautiful pics

• poaky1
    8 years ago

Just wondered Dax, are the Beech fresh as I thought, IOW, should they sprout? I sowed 2, so just wondered. poaky1

• gardenprincethenetherlandsZ7/8
    8 years ago

@ poaky1: some of the beech nuts in your pic are clearly empty. They should be firm. Squeeze them hard to see if they actually contain a real seed. ( Does this sound as weird to American ears as it does to my Dutch ears? ...)

I have shown how to sow beech nuts on a German gardening forum:

How To Sow Beech Nuts

• poaky1
    8 years ago

Gardenprince, the Beech seeds are definitely firm, they are kinda 3 walled in a triangle, and there is "nutmeat" in there, for lack of a better term. I got them as soon as the tree dropped them, because the chipmunks and squirrels ate most of them that fell. If they weren't fertile than I am speachless. I could be wrong, but, they weren't dried out and desicated, but, this is my first seed pick for Beechnuts. I hope they were good. I sowed 2 of them after picking them so I'll know in spring. Poaky1