SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jmg1717

Need help with front-of-house design - first attempts failed!

jmg1717
8 years ago

First the important info: Zone 6a/6b, Central PA. Front of house faces north. In the height of summer, the house casts shade about 3 feet deep into the front beds.

The situation: we built this house about 3.5 years ago, and were given a basic landscape design/package as part of the build. The compacted clay soil surrounding our house was never amended - just mulch laid on top. Most of the original plants (azaleas, cranberry bushes) died (insects, improper species for site, etc.). What survived (barely) were 5 "emerald gem" boxwoods staggered along the foundation, and 1 kousa dogwood on the right corner. Here is the original planting:

The problem: I then went hog-wild and hand-mixed a couple yards of good quality compost into the clay in the entire front bed area, and started planting anything that looked nice at the nursery. I now recognize the error of my ways, and am looking to fix the situation. Here are the cluttered results of all my hard work:

BTW - many of the petunias in the front bed are volunteers from the last 3 years of wave petunias - this year's weren't filling in, so I just let them grow out of desperation :-).

I really don't like the Kousa dogwood on the corner - I find it much too small, slow-growing, and just boring. I was thinking a "fireglow" japanese maple might look nicer there?

I am looking for any advice on a complete redesign. I would prefer to not move the boxwoods if possible, since they are healthy and would be really hard to move. But if they need to go, I'm OK with that.

Here are photos of the full site, panned left to right (on the left, our property only extends about 10 feet from the driveway):

Thanks so much for your input!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath