SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thirdgreenham

Need help with designing garden in front of house (many pics)

thirdgreenham
14 years ago

Hi all! This is my first post here and I'm asking for advice on how to design my front lawn. I'm in the process of taking all of the grass away and would like to have a little garden in front. I was thinking about having mostly perennials, hostas and some ground cover, but I'm pretty clueless when it comes to design. The area is 14'5" in front, 9' on the left, and 12'4" on the right. It's also on a bit of a slope.

Here's a list and some pictures of what I've got:

3- 15" by 15" square Santa Fe flat stones

{{gwi:38026}}

1- partial roll of landscape cloth (now that I'm looking at the picture, this may not be landscape cloth)

{{gwi:38027}}

4- bags of white marble rocks

{{gwi:38028}}

{{gwi:38029}}

2- bags of black mulch

{{gwi:38030}}

6- small pots of ground cover #1 (blue star creeper)

{{gwi:38031}}

6- small pots of ground cover #2 (scotch moss)

{{gwi:38032}}

6- small pots of ground cover #3 (corsican mint)

{{gwi:38033}}

all the ground cover together

{{gwi:38035}}

4- small hostas (already in the ground)

6- or so, perennial flowers inside that white circle on the lawn

{{gwi:38037}}

6- or so, annual flowers

{{gwi:38038}}

{{gwi:38039}}

That circle can be moved, or changed, or not used at all.

{{gwi:38040}}

At the front of this area is a sidewalk where people walk by and in the winter, a snowplow will come by to plow the snow. I was thinking about putting railroad ties [5" by 5" by 8'] (or mini-ties [3" by 5" by 8']) in the earth, against the sidewalk. Just an idea at this point.

{{gwi:38041}}

I've also got concrete steps on both sides of this green space, so I may need something to border both sides. I wouldn't want the rain to wash away the soil on either side or the front.

{{gwi:38042}}

{{gwi:38043}}

{{gwi:38044}}

I can buy other things to add to this, but I feel I've already put quite a bit into this. If there are any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

Looking forward to your replies. Thanks so much!

Andy

Comments (15)