SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katlandreth

Edward Wormley Party Sofa | Keep/Reupholster or Sell?

katlandreth
8 years ago

Hi! I'm new to the home section of the forum. If this is posted in the wrong board, I apologize!

I've inherited an Edward Wormley for Dunbar "Party Sofa" (model No 5407). The link is not my sofa but it's the exact model. Mine is navy blue velvet instead of orange.

It is in very good structural condition, but needs to be reupholstered and the foam replaced. When you sit on it, yellow dust from foam stuffing sifts out of the bottom of the couch. It looks like a pile of corn meal.

Before I knew it was an Edward Wormley, I got one low-ball offer from a MCM dealer for about $150. Now I'm seeing the same couch in pristine condition listed on 1stDibs for over $13,000. Granted, mine isn't in pristine condition, but restored ones are priced around $8,500 there.

I know 1stDibs prices are inflated, but I'm guessing this means the sofa is worth more than $150, right?

My dilema is that we are apartment dwellers who move fairly frequently. This couch is 8.5 feet long. It limits where we can move b/c there's always the question "will the couch fit in this apartment". We would also have to pay to have it reupholstered. But it is a great couch, I love the style, and it has sentimental value (it belonged to my husband's late grandfather).

I've got a few online quote requests for reupholstering it, but I haven't heard back yet so I'm not sure how much that would set me back.

My question is, what would you do? Keep and reupholster? Or try to sell it?

Comments (9)