Houzz Logo Print
slowlane

"Demo-glaze"?

11 years ago

A new local restaurant is getting rave reviews. I checked out the menu online and found that some of their food comes in a demo-glaze. This wasn't a typo; the term is listed several times. Now, I know demi-glace is, but I've never heard of a demo-glaze, and Googling only produces demos of glazing. Any ideas?

Comments (16)

  • 11 years ago

    Just because they misspelled it several times, doesn't mean it isn't misspelled. It may mean they are sure of themselves and fond of forging ahead without external input, which might make for some interesting combinations in their food, and some remarkable successes. It may also mean they pay little attention to detail, and want to get it done, and get it out there, which could make for interesting sounding dishes, that somehow miss the mark.

    It could even mean that everything is covered in a thin coating of drywall dust from the ongoing demolition and renovation in the restaurant. :-)

  • 11 years ago

    Just because the repeated it, doesn't mean it's not a typo...or they are not sure what a demi-glace is.
    I know of one local restaurant that opened to rave reviews that went down in flames because although many dishes were wonderful, they were often served late, or cold, or...or...or....and the menu was full of errors and the sign out front said "ristorante [with the accent mark] Italiane". I should have known then it was run by idiots.
    Call them and ask what that means....

  • 11 years ago

    I will, Linda. I just wanted to check with the experts here first so I'd be sure of myself.

    Bob, the dust is certainly a possibility, but I was thinking maybe they glaze the food table side, making it a demo glaze....

    Thanks, ya'll!


  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    My simple answer: Big fingers.

    The "o" key is right next to the "i" key.

    "Demi" became "demo" by whoever with big fingers designed the menu, others just repeated it.

    I think "glace" or "glaze" are both OK.

    dcarch

  • 11 years ago

    Be sure to come back and tell us what you find....my guess is they don't know what a demi glace is!

  • 11 years ago

    Bob, now that's an interesting concept. (grin)

    A local restaurant here advertised in big letters on the front billboard "chicken pacada". Ahem. I remarked to Elery that if you don't know how to spell "piccata" you probably shouldn't sell it. I never did have the nerve to try it and always thought that they should have just advertised "lemon chicken", LOL.

    It'll be interesting to hear how that restaurant is and what they used the glaze for.

    Annie

  • 11 years ago

    We haven't been there yet, after all--sick grandkids required our attention. But you all raise some thought-provoking ideas. I suspect dcarch is likely right or close to right. The place is in a college town, and it's quite possible that a student typed it up, had never heard of demi-glace, so changed it to something that made sense, to him, at least.

    Linda, I will certainly let you know how the place turns out. It sounds good in spite of the egregious spelling issues.

    Annie, I don't doubt that at all. I'm out in the sticks here (southern sticks, which makes it even worse), and there are always places popping up with problems like that. My daughter once saw some workers painting the business name on an entrance. She toldthem restaurant had a u, but they didn't believe her. Never did fix it.

    Bob, that's just a bit twisted. You're a man after my own heart :)

  • 11 years ago

    Thanks for the reminder. Cooler weather is setting in must be time to make a batch of demi glace for those Autumn and Winter meals

  • 11 years ago

    I'm guessing a odd typo? Or English is the second language. NYC is full of odd spelling. A chicken joint near the Bklyn Botanical Gardens was called "Cuntucky Fried Chicken"...then a few weeks later painted an 'a' over the 'u'.

    Cantucky, lol.

  • 11 years ago

    That reminds me of many, many years ago of a store on the boardwalk in Rockaway, NY. They had a wonderful concept before there was fast food. They made a bowl out of Chinese noodle dough, fried, and filled with chow mein and you could walk and eat out of the cup and then the cup. The store, and the item, was called Tuckeecup. Invariably, the T was adjusted by kids over the winter months. Eventually the store owners changed the store name to Takeecup.

  • 11 years ago

    Then there are Crab Crawls and Frizz Salad (frizee maybe?)

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    My guess is that the restaurant people know it's "demi", but they hired someone to build their website... and the someone they hired FREQUENTLY uses the term "demo" (short for demonstration), so it rolled off their fingers to the keyboard automatically, and that's how it ended up on the website. The other possibility is a language barrier.


  • 11 years ago

    On the home decor side of things, we always laugh about the craigs list ads that are selling things like "chester drawers"...must be the same folks who made up the menu....

  • 11 years ago

    AnnieD, that's probably due to auto-correction!

  • 11 years ago

    omg, I just realized it could have been auto-correct that changed it to demo-glaze. lol!