SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laticauda

Please identify these succulents (#2) mostly aloes

laticauda
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

You'll need to click on the photos or choose "open image" to see them in proportion.

^group photo^

^No.1 foreground^ ^ No.2 in background^

^No.1 inflorescence^

^No.2 foreground^ ^background: everyone else^

^No.3^ ^No.4 background^

^No.4^

^No.5^ Pretty sure this is just H. truncata.

Also, any blurbs you guys want to add if you know anything about these species.

Comments (42)

• Nicholas C.
    8 years ago

I always warn that I'm bad at this but here goes. 1 & 4 look like Aloe "Lizard lips" to me, the inflorescence as well. 3 I'm nearly positive is a Euphorbia of some sort though when small many of them look the same to me. Looked around a bit and it may be E. ammak, E. lactea or E. ledienii. I could also just be completely wrong :)

Look around here at the columnar Euphorbia: http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/236/#b

laticauda thanked Nicholas C.
  • kaktuskris
    8 years ago

So are these recent purchases? Not identified? I don't know Aloes too well, only have a couple. The Euphorbia I was thinking canariensis at first, now I don't think so. So many similar looking Euphorbia species. The H. truncata looks like the normal species to me, a beautiful specimen. This is the only other Haworthia I really want to get.

Sorry I could not be more helpful. I know if Palmbob were around, he would have the names for the Aloes and Euphorbia.

Christopher

laticauda thanked kaktuskris
  • Related Discussions

Need help identifying these 2 succulents!

Q

Comments (3)
    1. Peperomia columella 2. Crassula muscosa (possible var. variegata as well~I can't tell if it is a silverish color). Crassula lycopodioides is a synonym, I believe.
    ...See More

Please help ID these aloes, agaves and succulents

Q

Comments (1)
    Aloe #1 = Gasteria, possibly Gasteria lingua. Aloe #2 = Aloe maculata (formerly A. saponaria) Aloe #3 = I vote Aloe ferox, too. Aloe #4 == not the best photo but probably A. striata or a hybrid (there are many intergrades between this species and A. maculata). Agave #1 == too young to tell Agave #2 = also too young to tell but possibly Agave parryi Cactus #1 == an Astrophytum? Native succulent = Portulaca, Purslane, a weed Yucca #1 == could be Yucca elephantipes. Joe
    ...See More

Please identify name of 3 aloe......

Q

Comments (1)
    Sorry. 1. 2. 3.
    ...See More

Please help identify these succulents and how to care for them, please

Q

Comments (5)
    is there drainage in that pot?? .. thats very important as to watering ... insert finger.. and do not water.. until its dry in there ... in my MI ... i would not put that shallow a pot in the sun ... excet for the fact that they are sedums.. and you can barely kill them if you wanted .. lol .. to simplify it.. they are full sun.. carp soil plants .. they live in my sand.. with no water after the first year ... and therein lies the rub to trying to make them a winter houseplant.. not enough sun.. and most likely the potting media will hold too much water ... ergo.. i would plant them out in fall ... in native soil.. and get rid of the media .. and i would separate the plants ... not plant the whole gob ... you could have a nice 2 or 3 foot square garden with them .. so start prepping the bed now.. and plant in fall ... and in a few years.. you can start planting them everywhere .. as they will multiply with abandon.. but not in a bad way ... and broken off part can be rooted.. and planted out.. often.. just sticking them in the ground ... ken
    ...See More
  • laticauda
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I thought it was closest to canaries is too when looking at that site and it is geographically close. But this species isn't on that page, that's why it was hard to identify lol.

I think the Euphorbia is resinifera from Morrocco.

wow, if it is indeed resinifera.....that's the Euphorbia that started it all for this genus name. http://www.desert-tropicals.com/Plants/Euphorbiaceae/Euphorbia_resinifera.html

• Neil
    8 years ago

I see a euphorbia trigona and a h. truncata. that's all i know. it does not appear to be 'monstrose.'

laticauda thanked Neil
  • laticauda
    Original Author
    8 years ago

There really aren't any "aloe aficionados?"

• Neil
    8 years ago

Trigona does have a variegated color scheme but, it is not a variegate. It's the normal coloration pattern thus its not 'technically a variegate.' there is a true variegated version. Like many jades have different colors on the same plant..it does not necessarily make them variegates. - If i'm wrong others will soon correct me. I have no doubt of that, lol.

laticauda thanked Neil
  • laticauda
    Original Author
    8 years ago

You know what? I didn't make the picture bigger until just now and I see the color difference!

• Neil
    8 years ago

Aloe is a hybrid...of what, i don't know. We do have aloe experts on here, i wonder where they are?

laticauda thanked Neil
  • ewwmayo
    8 years ago

Agreed that yours looks like a E. resinifera. And that H. truncata looks really good!

The amount of variegation of E. trigona can vary. Here is mine which shows subtle variegation on some parts only:

laticauda thanked ewwmayo
  • laticauda
    Original Author
    8 years ago

The resinifera also has a slight lighter coloration down the center of the columns.

did you look at that one yet? What do you think?

the name of the hybrid is "Liberty Bell" and I'm hoping someone is familiar with what the two species are. Labeled #2

• Neil
    8 years ago

Wow Mayo that's a really good spray paint you used!

laticauda thanked Neil
  • laticauda
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Mayo, that's a beautiful plant and seeing it that close up can confirm that it is indeed not the plant in my box. I'm debating how I should plant it. With the giant aloe? By itself? With a stringy sedum dangling from around the edge of the pot?

• Neil
    8 years ago

if it were me (and it not, its you) i would plant them separately.

laticauda thanked Neil
  • laticauda
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Yes, I do much prefer to keep plants in their own separate planters. But one 6 inch is smaller than two 4 inches, and I think it's proportional as sizes go up lol.

• Neil
    8 years ago

I want them planted separately!

laticauda thanked Neil
  • laticauda
    Original Author
    8 years ago

#1 has a label but it says rauschii. I googled rauhii but I don't think they look similar. Maybe I'll have to look at the pictures with the plant right in front of me. I still have the inflorescences if having different pictures would be helpful, but you are probably right and I probably just have a stressed out plant lol.

I appreciate your input, Geoff.

This is why I don't put what the labels say, I'm checking/verifying IDs for my own curiosities and desire to know my plants' names.

#2 Aloe "liberty bell" and I haven't found any pictures of this and it was the last one at the vendor's. (as per label)

#3 Euphorbia resinifera (as labeled)

#4 Aloe sinkatana (as labeled)

• laticauda
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Do you guys think the truncata needs repotting? I don't know what the caudex (because I can't remember the specific term for this type of root that contracts....contractile roots?) looks like under there but judging from pictures online, and the size of the above ground leaves and offsets...I think it could use a bigger pot.

oh, and PALMBOB (how does one link to a person?), my flowers look different from your rauhii flowers you posted of your own blooms. They were that beautiful pink/coral all the way to the bottom of the petals and mine are white with green stripes along where the tube opens. This could be natural variation or no?

• ewwmayo
    8 years ago

Laticauda - here is what the contractile roots look like on my Haworthia truncata 'Omori'. They are very thick and quite long:

The difficulty is finding a pot that is tall enough, but not too wide.

• laticauda
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I was worried they may look like this http://www.cactus-art.biz/schede/HAWORTHIA/Haworthia_truncata/Haworthia_truncata_lime_green/Haworthia_truncata_lime_green_02_810.jpg

but I DO happen to have a lime green glazed pot that is about 6" diameter and about a foot tall, maybe a little more. I'll have to compare them and maybe take pictures to get your opinion if you think it would be too deep.....should I not do anything right now, since Autumn is upon us? (Anything as in even taking it out to look at the roots or bare rooting it....)

• ewwmayo
    8 years ago

I would be pretty excited if my roots looked like that! But 6"x12" is a pretty massive pot. These are fairly slow growing, so they're not going to fill up anything much bigger very quickly.

As for potting time of year, I really don't know. All I know is mine took about a month to re-establish in gritty mix.

• laticauda
    Original Author
    8 years ago

It's in a 4 inch right now.

what month did you repot yours?

also, repotted the Euphorbia. I don't think I put enough substrate in below the top dressing. Oh well, I'm pretty sure it won't kill it. I trimmed some of the roots, so I have to wait before I can water it. It IS showing a new growth though so I guess it's okay to be repotted now lol.

• rosemariero
    8 years ago

Hope I can keep them straight (thanks for numbering all):

1. Aloe looks like a hybrid. I'd like to see a pic of it without flash, if you've a chance to do.

2. Seems to be a type of grass Aloe. Maybe you can follow that lead to find an ID.

3. Looks like Euphorbia pseudocactus to me.

4. Looks like an Aloe sinkatana hybrid. Flowers would help nail it down.

5. Yes, Haworthia truncata.

laticauda thanked rosemariero
  • ewwmayo
    8 years ago

Mine was repotted in July.

• laticauda
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Ew, That makes a big difference! Right now, I'm not even sure if I should water it.

Rosemarie, I want to take pics without flash, but it's stormy rainy and normally when I'm taking pictures, it's pretty dark. I may get out there today just to see what I'm working with.....all my big succulents were left out in the storm last night so they got soaked.

as for #3 being pseudocactus, it doesn't look like it to me, it's much too.....neat. Does that make sense.

• laticauda
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Okay, I found her pseudocactus and seeing it in person, the one I have and the pseudocactus are different in a big way. (It's also hard to portray angles and stuff unless you know what you're doing which clearly I don't when it comes to photography!)

So

here are two pictures I took today in natural sunlight. It's looking less heat/drought stressed than when I first brought it home but that's just due to lower temperatures outside compared to the VERY hot greenhouse.

wow, I didn't expect it to insert the picture there...but whatever man lol.

• laticauda
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Added to note:

I went back to the greenhouse and the other ones like this have a tag that says rauhii. Maybe rauschii could be a cultivar/hybrid or just a mi spelling of the name.

I've seen only one other aloe online with the name "rauschii" and it was lumped with rauhii pictures. But it was labeled as Aloe "rauschii".

• ewwmayo
    8 years ago

Here is my Aloe rauhii (supposedly) in the beginning of September:

P.s. Rina if you see this I apologize for turning it green! It's in a brighter spot now and a bit darker.

Here is a better representation of full sun coloration:

Could be the same species?

• laticauda
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I think I'll have to check it since I've watered it. The leaves were beginning to curl, lol.

how is the texture with your finger? Is it like that "marmalade" hybrid (tough,thick, rigid like the back of a crocodile) or more like regular aloe vera? Smooth and soft, feels like it would bruise easily.

just looked at my pics and if yours is smooth and not bumpy (not the "teeth), then it's very likely I have a very hard grown version of what you have lol.

• ewwmayo
    8 years ago

The leaves are quite tough and thinner than other Aloes such as marlothii / ferox / spinossima. Not like A. vera.

• rosemariero
    8 years ago

First, thanks for the additional pix. Next, can you tell me how large (how wide is rosette) it is? Aloe rauhii is not usually found on the market. It is widely used for creating complex-crossed hybrids, though. It is named after a German professor, Rauh, so rauschii is a misspelling -that was never corrected. The rosettes would be up to 10 cm wide (<4 inch). The form, color & spots do look like A. rauhii, but yours, laticauda, looks too large. It could be hybrid of rauhii, as Geoff said. You tell me. Here's a link to a site from Moscow (Peter Lapshin's) with pix of Aloe rauhii: Lapshin site

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    8 years ago

mayo

Don't apologize - it is actually very nice. I like it green! - and even if I didn't, it is your plant now :)

Rosemarie

I am not sure if you are referring to ewwmayo's aloe too. It is offset from my plant that pups a lot, looks very similar to first photo on Lapshin's site, and was ID-ed as such here...couple of years ago.

here is the original plant - when purchased:

Here is more recent photo (few offsets have been separated):

and even more recent - Sept. 17:

I am not 100% sure if the ID is correct, and always mention it when posting - just as ewwmayo did. They don't grow very large.

Large one looks to me more like A. maculata or A. grandidentata - I have this one that was ID-ed as possibly being one or the other - maybe that's incorrect too:

Rina

laticauda thanked rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
  • laticauda
    Original Author
    8 years ago

At this site, it uses the misspelled name, but mine looks like the first picturepictured "rauschii" and I think eww's looks like "snowflake" but I could be misremembering.

There is another called rauschii sp. (The last picture in that species group) and it is much larger than in the description.

The pot is 3-4 inches, so unless the "rosette" doesn't include all the way to the tips of the leaves, then mine is bigger than that.

it could look like the last onepictured by Rina. Do you have pictures of those flowers, Rina? Maybe I'll Google those two species' flowers and compare them to the flowers I have.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    8 years ago

Not so great photo of flowers. Maybe eww has some close-ups, he takes great photos:

It blooms quite often.

Rina

laticauda thanked rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
  • laticauda
    Original Author
    8 years ago

They look the same as the ones I posted, I think?

Not exactly, but closer than the rauhii flowers, that's for sure.

I bought some great stuff yesterday guys, I hope we can all get together and ID those as well.

Do you guys really get upset if I don't post what the label says? I think I get better answers w/o giving hints...well, for the species plants anyhow. I think someone has seemed a little irritated sometimes about it.

but how misleading would a wrong tag be? Heading down the wrong street, you'll probably wind up lost in Maryland somewhere.

• laticauda
    Original Author
    8 years ago

But the picture with three inflorescences of your rauhii (Rina) looks like my picture, but I can't tell.

• ewwmayo
    8 years ago

Thanks Rina, haha. I just moved it up to a brighter spot again so we'll see what colour it turns next! I also fertilized it, but kept it in the same soil mix. So if you're curious what happens when you fertilize them... (well they don't necessarily turn green).

Laticauda - here is a close up of the flowers:

I think seeing the tag is helpful, since it can make identifying a fair bit easier. It can be a red herring sometimes too, but most of the time it's not THAT far off?

Rosemarie - Just for reference, my Aloe rauhii (supposedly) has a rosette of about 5" diameter. Who knows what Rina puts in those pots though! =P

• laticauda
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Okay, my flowers looks like your flowers and rinas's or palmbob's had a baby together and mine is the average of those two.

Maybe some are seed grown so have natural variations within the "breed"?

10cm isn't much off of 5 inches really, and if you were to actually measure it, you may realize that what you think is 5 inches, is really only 4 :(

• laticauda
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Have you seen my post asking if someone sold me a saguaro?

• Neil
    8 years ago

Where would you plant it? I heard they can get at least 3 feet tall!

• laticauda
    Original Author
    8 years ago

That's why I'm desperately trying to find out what kind of cactus this is. Thankfully, it is not a Saguaro! They get 45 feet tall!

but I did buy a really tall and skinny growing cactus. I'll have to find the name for that one again.

• laticauda
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Oh and...what exactly comprises the "rosette". Is that where the base of the leaves curve upwards? Or is it like legspan for spiders?