SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melle_sacto_gw

Reversible carpet runners

melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I'm wondering about backing or pads for reversible rugs. I recently ordered some reversible carpet runners (overstock) and have questions about safety and care. I wanted to be able to clean them easily so avoided anything with backing.

Two are 2 x 6 polypropylene outdoor runners that I will use in an "L" shape in the kitchen, I expect they will get drips and crumbs so being able to shake them out and spray them off is important. Our kitchen floor is tile, and I'm worried these will slip around. Is it worth the price of a felt pad, will that help reduce slipping, or should I go with the mats that look like rubbery cupboard liner (much cheaper)? I expect the cheaper mats will degrade and kind of leave residue on the floor, but since it's ceramic tile should clean off if necessary.

The third is 2 x 8 jute indoor runner that will go the length of our hallway, the hallway is carpeted but the old carpet has a 3-4" hole in one spot; the runner is a temporary, one to two year fix until we change the flooring (it's going to be 2/3 of our house so a major ordeal). My DH suggested we use upholstery twist pins to secure that runner to the carpet underneath. Would those work well, or does that runner need some kind of pad also?

Comments (4)