SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gabr_rodr

Tips and Things to Remember (creating a list)

8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hello all,

First of all I just want to say WOW, there is such wealth of information here that I don't even know where to start, but the purpose of this thread is to hear from you the tips and things that we the customer should know before and during a construction. I am interested in building but to be honest, I have heard so many horror stories about it that I am really scared of doing so. I hope that with this thread we can also help others who read into it to have it, kinda like a check list (I know it could be a lot!) but in the long run I believe this could be really helpful. So I am gonna start by asking a few questions I have and then we can keep adding to it!. Again Thank you for taking your time and helping me and others figure "this" out.

1. Do I need to buy the land separately or most builder will include it in the price.
2. Do I own the land if the builder includes it?
3. When creating the contract, what are some of the most important things to write in it.
4. Should I consider having a lawyer?
5. What is the timeline that was agreed upon is not met, Can I negotiate discounts because of it?
6. What about extras costs incurred by the builder because they messed up (their fault) do they pay for it?
7. What to look when visiting the site (In case they are cutting corners). most common ones.
8. Reading, old homes where built in 2x4's, now I see 2x6's. Is that the standard? or there is other options?
9. Should you keep the plumbing close (bathrooms on top of each other)?
10. Is tankless water heaters better?
11. Geothermal Hvac?
12. Besides TV-Ethernet-Phone-Audio cables, what other ones should I consider running?
13. Is there things I could buy myself?
14. The HVAC ventilation window, is it better on the wall or floor?
15. What to look in the foundation to know they poor it correctly.
16. Going solar worth it?

That would be my questions for now. I will be adding more as they come. BTW I noticed that summerfielddesigns is the go to person here and by looking at his/her work it is amazing. SD, how can I contact you for services if anything? Thank you again!

Gabriel

Comments (10)

Sponsored
John Romans Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full Service, Turn-Key Construction & Design Company