SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
midwaycat

Hydrangeas - My Wife Loves Them, So I Need Help

midwaycat
8 years ago

Hello everyone.

I'm new to posting, but I've been a faithful reader for the last few months. I'm always impressed by (and somewhat jealous of) all of the amazing gardens and homes that so many of you have.

My wife and I moved into somewhat unique home two years ago. At that time, the house had been entirely vacant for almost six years, but the previous owner had paid a landscaping company to put in mulched beds with basic shrubs and flowers to get the property ready for sale.

Since we moved in, I've spent the majority of my time trying to get the house up to form. I still have a ton to do, of course. At the least, though, I want to fix the mess that the beds at the front of the house have become this fall.
And that brings me to the hydrangeas. My wife loves them, so I was hoping to replant the bed in front of my garage with them.

Here's where I need your expertise.

The planting area I'm considering gets direct sun until 1 PM or so. It's not shaded, but in indirect light for the rest of the day.

I live in the Bluegrass Region of Kentucky, either Zone 6A or Zone 6B. Those maps confuse me a bit.

Are there particular varieties that would work in these conditions?

Is fall the best time to plant?

With regard to plant size at the time of planting, is it as simple as "the bigger the plant, the better"?

I'm completely ignorant about these plants, but I'm really hoping that I can create a flower bed that she'll love.

Any help/guidance/knowledge that you can provide is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH