SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rczrider

Staining a new deck: brand, type, amount, other specific questions

rczrider
8 years ago

We built a 16x20 deck in March of this year and since it gets full sun most of the day, we figured it's time to stain it. Pictures are attached.

I've narrowed it down to Flood CWF-UV and Ready Seal, both semi-transparent cedar tone. Both have great reviews. They are $89 and $149 for 5 gallons and cover 750sqft and 625sqft, respectively. They both claim to be oil-based, but given that the Flood can be cleaned up with soap and water, I'm thinking it's not really oil-based. Thoughts on these two products? I'm leaning toward Ready Seal, but could be persuaded otherwise.

Next question: will oil-based stain dissolve paint? Our balusters are black-painted metal conduit and I can't imagine taping them all off (you can see how they're attached). I was hoping I could just carefully paint around them and if I get some stain on them, no worries.

Given the size of the deck, do you think 5 gallons will be enough or way too much? Are the coverage values given on the cans realistic? The deck itself is 320sqft, but we have a 10x10 gazebo on part of it (we'd only stain the 4 supports and cross braces, not the ceiling), two sets of steps, railings, and deck supports (see pictures).

Both products recommend a single coat. As a general rule, I like to follow the manufacturers' guidelines since they know their product. In your experience, however, is a second (lighter?) coat beneficial for new wood? And brushing is better than rolling, yes?

Thanks for any and all advice and feedback!

Comment