SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
spectrograph_nc_7b

Bermuda disease / bare spots?

I'm looking to try and diagnose these large bare spots in my lawn. They've been there in some capacity since we moved in four years ago, but one year ago is when I started to learn about lawn care. I originally wrote them off as just a poor site for bermuda, but now I'm wondering if there's something more I can do for them.

I'm in Durham, NC. The lawn faces northeast and is gently sloped down. There is a youngish willow oak that you can see in the picture, and which likely sucks a lot of water out of this region of the yard. However, these spots extend beyond what I thought the dry zone is, and don't seem to fill in during periods of more frequent rain. The yard mostly gets sun from morning until mid afternoon, and gets likely more than 6 hours of sun. I don't really water this yard, so it gets what the sky drops.

The soil is hard red clay. I fertilize once a month with a 34-0-0 to 1 lb / 1000 sq ft. The first feeding of the year is a more complete fertilizer, and I also put down a bag of Milorganite in the summer. Soil tests show enough P and K. I put down 25 lbs of cracked corn (on about 1000 sq ft) in June this year, and I've shampoo'd it several times in the summer as well to try and loosen up some of the drier spots. It's generally mowed tall for bermuda, because my lawn is really uneven and I can't mow lower.

I went out there this afternoon and was poking around to see if I could find any signs of active disease now that it's almost fall. I did notice many areas on the border had fine black spots on the leaves, as shown below. However I've not found any online fungal disease which match this appearance. Thoughts, all?

Also, some of the growth in the spots themselves might look a little weak, but a lot of it looks just fine, it just won't spread and fill the spot:

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!