SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
atomicjay7

Ethics of Keeping a Lost Animal

AtomicJay007
8 years ago

I had an interesting discussion with an acquaintance earlier this week that remains on my mind unresolved. Almost a year ago, this acquaintance found a lost dog in her neighborhood. The dog was in excellent shape and had obviously been cared for and loved. However, the dog was without a collar and after a trip to the vet, it was confirmed the dog was also without microchip. The vet approximated the dog's age at 7 months. My friend placed an ad in the major newspaper lost and found pets section, papered flyers at community mailboxes and in other highly visible places, and placed a lost and found notice on Craigslist. She also notified the local animal shelters that she'd found the dog, provided a picture of the dog to the pound for listing on their website, but did not turn the dog over to the pound. This was at the suggestion of the pound operator, who said the pound was already over capacity. After a couple of weeks with no response, she decided she would keep the dog. No one ever came to claim the dog and she stopped maintaining the flyers and lost and found ads.

Cut to last week when this acquaintance took her dog to the vet for a heart worm test. In the waiting room was another lady with the exact same breed of dog (which is quite rare.) Because of the connection of the dogs, the two ladies struck up a conversation about the breed, their behavior, etc. Eventually the lady asked my acquaintance if she'd acquired the dog from a certain breeder in the area to which my acquaintance answered "no" without further explanation. The lady then proceeds to mention that approx 1 year ago, her grandkids were visiting and had left her back gate open and that her dog at the time had escaped and was never found, and that she often hoped that the dog found a good home. About that time, the lady was called into an exam room and the conversation ended.

The encounter left my friend completely distressed. Although she does not know for certain that the dog she found is the same dog this lady lost, the timing and rarity of breed make it very likely the dog is the same. My friend was in tears describing the encounter to me and wanting confirmation that she did not commit a grave sin by not telling the lady that she'd found the dog lost around the same time as the lady's dog went missing.

I am completely torn. When I put myself in the place of the person who lost the dog, I would absolutely want my loved pet back. When I put myself in the place of my friend, I understand completely that she's come to love the dog and provides a great home for the dog. My friend also justified her decision by stating that she had now owned the dog longer than the "possible" original owner. She said it was not like she was keeping for herself a 10 year old dog that had spent the entirety of its life with a family. Under that circumstance, she was clear the correct thing to do would be to return the dog to its family no matter how much it might hurt her to do so. I can also imagine an instance where if I had adopted a puppy who got lost after having been with me for a few months but who landed up living for a year or more in a good and loving home, that I would not try to strip the dog away from its new owner. (Trusting that the person who found the puppy did a diligent search to find me before claiming the puppy as their own.)

All that said, I told my friend that I completely understood her shock and inability to clearly think at the time of the incident, and admitted I may have very well not said anything either. But upon reflection, I'm thinking the "correct" thing to do would have been to admit that she found the dog, say that I have no idea if it's the same dog as the one you lost, but I've given him a wonderful home and my heart and I would hate to give him up.

What would you do in this situation? Is there a right or wrong answer?

Comments (79)