SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cherleconrad

Need help getting haze/film off dark laminate floors

cherleconrad
8 years ago

Hi everyone! Well like an idiot after our daughter was grown and gone, just my husband, myself, and our 2 dogs we finally did all new flooring in the house and might I add financed it! Lol! No cry out this gets worse! We carpeted our bedrooms, the bathroom is tile, so we decided to go with Mannington Laminate, a very dark Cherry/Mahogany shade it truly almost could pass for real hardwood ha so could the price, now we regret not going with real hardwood after the job was completed it wouldn't have been that much more money but oh no the company sold us how easy this was to care for they had this same floor in their home with dogs, nothing to it! I asked them how do I care for it and here we go and I am not kidding, this will sound like a lie but you have my word, this is the truth, to this day I will never understand how they could have been so wrong on telling a customer who just spent a large amount of money with them such wrong information. We don't have a large house it's that we let them do our entire house. 1. Mistake they told me use a swifter sweeper yes the dry type and get ready yes the wet wipes too, the swifter wet jet with the spray bottle too, they said they used both since they had dogs! They also said any of the popular steam mood like Shark, Bissell, etc., and I am not throwing and brands or steam mops under the bus I am simply sharing my horror story because I am in dire need of help. So of course I didn't know any better I trusted the carpet and floor company so I went and bought all the swifter products, wet and dry, and a shark steam mop. Disaster here we come and I had no idea. Sure it was so easy to just grab the swifter wet jet when I wanted to mop fast or a wet wipe stuck on the bottom and then use a swifter dry wipe now yes I swept good first or had vacuumed in fact I bought a shark steam mop that vacuumed too! So I would use it too and it was so easy and my only complaints off the get go were every single footprint of dog print showed as soon as you stepped on this floor! It always looked dirty and smeared up just from walking on it and it was driving me insane I couldn't stand all this mopping, steam cleaning, and then foot prints and smears galore and it's like a magnet for dog hair I sweep a million times a day! Well it wasn't long I see the floor streaking, dulling, and a nasty haze. I couldn't get it up. I read online you are never to use a steam mop as they can destroy laminate although shark says it's safe for laminate flooring but oh I beg to differ. So I have tried the water, vinegar, alcohol mixture, on my hands and knees and I am 55 years old though I don't feel that old until I am on my hands and knees slowly trying to clean my floors while I am sweating to death and usually crying. I use microfiber and dry it with soft terry cloth bath towels like I have read to do but like I have read so many with the same problem. I have destroyed the beautiful shine of my dark laminate floors from using a steam mop and using swifter wet products. I have never used anything else except the water, white vinegar, and alcohol mixture. No I take that back I did drive 30 miles to another floor dealer that sold Mannington Laminate Floor Cleaner they only have one type it's s spray and it did nothing, no shine, nothing it was a waste of money, the dealer we used didn't sell this cleaner in fact I asked if Mannington made one he said yes it was a waste of money and I didn't need it so I wasn't concerned. I trusted the company that we bought the flooring from. So now I just have a dull haze I am scared I won't ever get a shine back. I'm scared to buy products that say they restore shine to laminate floors I have read so many negative things saying don't buy them and to not buy products that say they are for laminate and tile floors. Does anyone have any suggestions or has anyone had this problem that can please offer any help? I hope I haven't destroyed the shine using a shark steam mop and swifter wet wipes and mop. There are places I still have some shine not like new but overall I have a dull haze and it is so upsetting also is there any trick to do so when your floors are clean the minute you walk on th there are footprints everywhere and they look like they haven't been touched for weeks! I would appreciate any help I will try and do anything at this point. I just can't keep this up on my hands and knees either it's not bringing back the shine and removing the haze I can't say film maybe it is I think it's haze or shine stripped maybe from what I've used. Thank you for any suggestions on what do I need to buy to mop with? Clean with? Remove haze with and try to restore shine with? Any tips to keep floors looking clean I'm sick of mopping and sweeping a thousand times a day and still having floors look like I haven't touched them I work full time and all my time off honestly I spend on these floors. Please help!

Comments (26)