SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ilovemytrees

I dumped WAY too much Lime around 3 of my Lilacs. What can i do now?

ilovemytrees
8 years ago

So, I purchased 3 Lilacs from a big box store, around May. All my other Lilacs that I had gotten from another nursery are doing fantastic. Growing like weeds. But these 3 big box store lilacs, while none of them turned brown or came close to dropping leaves, some of their leaves turned yellow, and 75% of their leaves were cupped.

I know my soil is extremely acidic, so I bought some Epsom Lime. I put a cup of the lime around each shrub and didn't see much of a change in them. So a few weeks later I dumped a few more cups and I started to seeing a reduction of the cupping, and the leaves were less yellow. But those changes seem to reached a limit. So then I just took the 3 small bags and dumped them around those shrubs. I figured with my fast draining soil, nothing would stick around too long.

Bingo. It worked. Now most leaves are uncupped, and they are mostly green and very happy. However, now the soil is like cement! Every time I water the water mixes with the lime and turns the water a light brown, and the soil is so hard! How can these Ludwig shrubs even like this? Why did all of my other Lilacs leaves stay green and happy while the big box lilacs looked miserable? How could my soil be good for everything else, but these 3 lilacs needed lime? And will this limed soil that is on the side of my house around those shrubs ever look and feel normal again?

Comments (12)