SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rod707

Too much hydrated lime & my tomato plants are limp

rod707
8 years ago

I have 14 EarthBoxes and have been using them for 7-8 years with great success. I have tomatoes in 11 of them, and each year about this time, I start to see a little BER, so I follow the EB recommendations and mix 1/4 cup of hydrated lime with a gallon of water. I did that 4 days ago, but I used a 1/3c measuring cup but tried to eyeball it, by not filling the measuring cup to the top. On Sunday before adding the lime, my plants were all robust and a rich deep green. Two or three days after adding the lime, many of the leaves are limp and some of the branches have collapsed. The color is more of a medium green. The plants look stressed and tired all of a sudden. I suspect that I may have given them too much lime. I read elsewhere on line that hydrated lime increases the alkalinity whereas tomatoes like it to be more acidic. My trial-and-error plan was to flush the EarthBox with lots of water (I'm in Northern Calif, where we're in a severe drought, so shhhh...don't tell anyone!) in hopes of diluting the hydrated lime that's still in the reservoir. But aside from that, any other recommendations? Should I add something to change the ph so it's more acidic? Any other suggestions? Have I damaged the tomato plants permanently or is this something I can reverse? Thanks in advance for any suggestions/help!!

Comments (7)