SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bpath

Freshen up our house, please

bpath
8 years ago

It's time to paint. It's time to paint the siding, and we could use a new garage door, so help a gal out here. Here's what I'm considering:

Removing the shutters on the right side to expose the brick. But how to fill the holes left in there brick?

Maybe remove the shutters on the porch...they are too small, don't make sense there, but they add a little color (and a place for wasps and spiders to hide)

Color possibilities:

- Grayish-green, pale and soft like a sage (I drive by a similar house, but I learned that what I like is the faded paint, not the unfaded siding!), with creamy trim, not sure about the remaining shutters.

- More of the same, perhaps creamier or taupier, with light cream trim

- White, with black shutters (a similarly-bricked house in the neighborhood looks sharp this way)

For the garage door, either a paneled door similar to what's there, in a darker color to blend with the brick better OR, my garage door guy has a wood-look steel door, and the medium oak (Clopay) looks pretty nice. If I did that, I would do the front door the same.

What should I do with the posts? They have a little trim piece near the top but otherwise plain. Should they be beefed up or have some trim?

We do NOT plan on any structural changes, but I would consider a post to support the gable, but it would go right in front of the door (6' out). Feel free to discuss landscaping, too, but primarily the house itself.

What will help our house look fresh?

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996