SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elizabethk1

I'm about fed up!

This is my first year of gardening in the Charlotte area. Between the 100 degree days, blazing sun, rabbits, deer, apple cedar rust, squash borers, powdery mildew, etc. I had a very unsuccessful season. I have a square foot garden and a few fruit trees, some brugs, hibiscus and a few other plants. The deer and rabbits ate all of my tomatoes, squash, cukes, blackberries, and mulberry leaves. Fortunately, they don't seem to like figs and persimmons (yet). A few months after planting, my corn decided to die. It was doing fine before the cobs turned black. I got a few nice cantaloupes that the animals didn't get to, but now the vines have powdery mildew. The basil just kept bolting and flowering. Every time I pinched, more flowers appeared. I lost a brugmansia to heat and mites. I am planning to put a fence around the square foot garden next year, so that should take care of the rabbits and deer. Do you Carolina gardeners do a preventive spray for mildew? It was so dry until a few weeks ago, and then it poured for a few days and the mildew appeared overnight. I wish I had more shade and some dappled sunlight, but we are new construction with not much planted yet. I'm not going to give up - it's a learning process, but any suggestions would really be appreciated.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor