SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beaglenc

I am looking for...

beaglenc
8 years ago

A fabric softener that isn't sweet but fresh and clean smelling. It's hard to describe exactly what I mean. Downy Sweet Dreams is ok but I'm getting tired of it, it's almost too sweet.

Years ago I used Final Touch but I hear it's no longer the same. Downy F/C has a chemical smell. And we all know how April Fresh was screwed up. Why don't companies leave well enough alone. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Any suggestions out there?

Comments (24)

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

Bea do you have a Aldi's near you? Larsi heard their fabric softener smells like old time April Fresh Downy, I'm not sure if it does, but for sure it smells better than the other stuff out there. I mix all my flavors of Downy with Downy Free 1/2 & 1/2 it has worked for me, just leaves a light pleasant scent.

beaglenc thanked mamapinky0
  • beaglenc
    Original Author
    8 years ago

There is a few in nearby towns but it would not be practical to go there. I'll try the 1/2 and 1/2 and see how it works. Thanks.

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

Your welcome, I know what you mean about the chemical scent in Downy Free, but when you mix it its gone. As many complaints as P&G have had about the strong sweet candy scents they use you would think they would do something about it.

• georgect
    8 years ago

I'm going to have to try ALDI's and check out their laundry options.

All this talk with their fabric softener smelling close to April Fresh Downy is intriguing. They are not close by but 15-20 minutes away (a few towns over).

Maybe I'll take a run Thursday.

beaglenc thanked georgect
  • aamassther
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I use Shaklee softener. It's a light scent and doesn't gum up the works or reduce absorbency in towels. It's the only one that I'll use anymore and that's not all the time. I agree, the softeners on the market are awful smelling. Shaklee's is the same scent as when I first started using it in 1981. They changed it a few years back when they tweaked the formula, got so many complaints that they went back to the original. Wish other companies would listen to feedback like that...

I've also used Seventh Generation free, good softener, but if I'm going to use one, I want a slight scent

beaglenc thanked aamassther
  • larsi_gw
    8 years ago

Try Snuggle Fresh Spring Flowers. I cut it with about 50% water or 25% unscented softener and 25% water. Smells GREAT and lasts, but is not overpowering. It is soft, clean, fresh, sweet in a good way!! I also love Miele Care Collection Softener...NOT sweet at all, but very clean and old fashioned smelling!!

• beaglenc
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Wow! Mamapinky, It is a small world! I would love to meet you for lunch or laundry (LOL)!!

• beaglenc
    Original Author
    8 years ago

ps. Thanks in advance for the Tide.

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

Larsi over on AW they do get togethers its called WASH INS..they get together and do all kinds of things..repair washers, trade, sell washers, they even travel long distances and take their washer or washers along..they share stories, machines, detergents, they eat drink wash clothes and share stories. They have been doing this for sometime. Recently they were interviewed and videoed for a national Tv news segment. But remember many of these people are collectors of vintage appliances. ...my point is..you never know what the future holds for Garden Web..by the way I'd like to meet you also.

PS yes you can bring The Larsi Machine...lol.

• larsi_gw
    8 years ago

Mama.....WOW, what fun we would have. Mama's Queenie, The Larsi Machine, all our additives, some margaritas, chips, dip....Perfect!!!!

• sparky823
    8 years ago

I advise some margaritas before the loading of the machines onto the trucks. Might cut down on some of the cussing that will surely ensue. LOL

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Sparky can bring the wine.

• beaglenc
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I'll bring some Wild Turkey and Diet Mountain Dew.

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

Bea, lol.. do they still make wild turkey?

• beaglenc
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I sure hope so!! HAHA

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

Bea, did you try yet mixing downy free with a flavor? I was thinking, if you mix water into it be sure you use distilled water, bacteria will grow in tap water if its not used up in about 10 days. I learned this making hand soap.

• beaglenc
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Not yet. Went shopping today and smelled a bunch of softeners.LOL Chose Suavitel morning sun. It smell fresh and clean... in the bottle. BUT, that fresh, clean and light when used is WAY too strong. How can this be? So I'm back to the drawing board. This will probably be returned. I'm going to try cutting with Downy F/C and see how it does.

• larsi_gw
    8 years ago

beagle...OMG Suavitel softeners are literally the ONLY softeners I avoid from 10 feet away. The scent is a killer. Their original one in the blue bottle smells somewhat "ok" in the bottle, but after using it...you can smell it from the next room away and it lasts forever on clothes. I teach with a woman who bathes her clothes in Suavitel, and it literally kills me, and I am NOT scent sensitive!

Sorry, you should have asked us first. Try Snuggle Fresh Spring Flowers cut with water, and/or unscented Softener. I love it. Miele Care Softener is also very good, but you will have to hunt it down, or order online. Very clean, light and "natural".

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

Tonight I smelled the Snuggle fresh spring flowers at the store..not bad and I bet cut with downy free it will be very nice.

• sparky823
    8 years ago

Today in the grocery store they have a softener called "Always Save" just a very BOL generic. Decided to smell it--surprised to see it has a scent similar to the old blue Downy. Didnt buy it. Unlike Pink, I can walk away LOL. Just jabbin at you Pink. I just didnt need it and I mostly use Free scent.(Downy)

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

SParky..I smelled the Snuggle spring flowers or something like that..I think it would be nice cut with Downy Free, but I walked away..lol also I ordered the A&Hpowder that Larsi just got and likes from sears, when I got there to pick it up I cancelled the order..lmao. I just decided to save for what I really want..Miele color formula..lol. omg Sparky I picked up my Miele powder for whites tonight. .the scent is wonderful.can't wait to try it lol

• sparky823
    8 years ago

Oh My Gosh I dont know what to think Pink. Watch out with all the changes your making. You will make winter come early and be a doozie! LoL

• georgect
    8 years ago

I went to ALDI's today and picked up their brand of April Fresh fabric softener. It smells kind of like original Downy but we shall see.