SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dizzy149

Countertop Material for Kitchen Remodel

8 years ago

We are remodeling the kitchen and we are torn on countertop material. We would like something that is durable, requires little maintenance, and that I won't need to be paranoid about getting disease if it isn't sterilized every 24 hours. We have two children that well... You remember the old cartoons of the Tazmanian Devil? That's my daughter. We didn't go 24 hours with the new floors before she dropped a knife and had it stuck into the wood. Two days later she dented the dishwasher door with her head when she tried to tackle our 100lb boxer and missed.

(We have OLD corian counters now) The wife will take pots and pans directly from the stove and set them on the counter. She cuts/chops directly on the counter (even though I have made her two really nice cutting boards). Kids make sandwiches directly on the counter (PB & J all over the counter), etc.

Granite is our original choice. Dark color. I felt that it met our requirements, and wasn't a material that in 10 or 15 years someone would walk in the house and immediately want to replace (I grew up with orange formica kitchen). You can walk through the house and can tell exactly when certain rooms were added/updated based on materials/color (60s, 70s and 80s, ugh). I would like a more "classic" look/feel. My wife has been watching a lot of HGTV recently and has liked many of the Marble and Soapstone. I also read a little bit on Neolith.

Thoughts?

Below is where we started replacing some cabinets. The cabinet with the oven is the correct cabinet color (other one was painted off-site and will be repainted soon). You can see the refinished floors as well. The actual color is maybe a hair darker than the image.

Comments (27)