SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jacqueline9ca

Mother Nature gave me a ground cover...(off topic)

jacqueline9CA
8 years ago

(Trigger warning - lawn purists should not read the below). I

am a very lazy gardener, and our garden grows under a "Laissez Faire" philosophy, to put it mildly. We have two lawns, both of which are mysteriously shrinking because of our constant expanding of the flower beds on their edges. One lawn is very small, and the front lawn is larger. We irrigate them, and my DH mows them and occasionally feeds them, but we DO NOT "maintain" them. My philosophy is that anything which wants to grow in the lawns (other than English ivy, thorned blackberry or poison ivy) is welcome to do so. So, my front lawn has what by now I am sure is hundreds of iris foetida plants, for instance. They get mowed, don't seem to mind, and stay green, so I don't mind.

Anyway, for a few years a small plant has mysteriously appeared in the lawns, mostly in the more shady parts. It has tiny purple flowers in the Spring, and the rest of the year stays green. It makes a very nice mat of flat small leaves (at least in the lawns where it gets mowed - when it strays into the flower beds, it suddenly sticks its head up and gets about 6 inches tall - I do not let it stay in the flower beds). I do not know if it is the drought, the heat, or the fact that the huge Scarlet Oak tree in our front garden has gotten bigger and made more dense shade, but the other day I suddenly realized that this plant is now covering half of the lawn (in the Summer, when the oak has leaves, that side of the lawn is VERY shady). It looks great, flat and dark green. It does not mind being walked on. If I had gone to a nursery and asked about a ground cover to plant there, I know it never would have worked. We did literally nothing. I love it. I tried to find it on the web, and I think I have - it is "ajuga sp" (what a weird name!) also known as bugle weed, and several other names. Listed as an actual ground cover! One of my many lazy theories is that plants in my garden which plant themselves always do better than if I plant them, and this is certainly the case with this one.

So, if you are lazy enough you never know, Mother Nature may bring you a gift! Here is a picture I just took 2 minutes ago of a small part of it:

Jackie

Comments (17)