SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
t_sedinger

Bees or yellow jackets nesting in house

Tracey
8 years ago

[Note: I also posted this in the bee forum - I'm not sure where the right place is.] This morning I discovered a series of insects flying in and out of what looks to be a small hole above a window. I can hear some sort of rustling near the window now. I cannot tell if the culprits are bees or yellow jackets (and will try to trap one to identify). I'm not sure what to do, though have spent some time researching online (which is how I ended up in this forum). And money is bit tight this month, so calling in a professional would have to wait a few weeks. Some questions:

(1) If they are yellow jackets, could I wait until our first hard frost (usually the first week of October)? I have read that yellow jacket nests die after the first hard frost, except for the queen, who will hibernate and then fly out to establish a new nest elsewhere.

(2) If they are bees, I obviously don't want to kill them. Could I wait until late winter/ early spring and get a beekeeper in to take what's left of the colony elsewhere? (Again, I've read elsewhere online that late winter or early spring is the best time to move bee colonies, as they will have declined in numbers by then).

Obviously, I want to avoid the use of pesticides at all costs. And as they do not seem to be dangerous (they are in the back of the house, and I have been working out back unmolested), I don't feel the need to act immediately. But I don't want a ton of structural damage to my house! Any information or advice would be much appreciated.

Comment (1)