SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
editoria

Progress Report (on my overgrown flower bed)

Alisande
8 years ago

I received so much encouragement and many good suggestions when I asked for help on what to do with a neglected, overgrown long, long flower bed, so I thought I'd give you a progress report.

When I first talked about it, I'd planned to salvage as many of the perennials as possible. But after spending some time studying the situation, I realized even if I had a place to replant them (I don't), I didn't have the energy to undertake all that. Plus they weren't in the best shape at this point.

The irises weren't in top form either, but I have a lot of sentimental attachment to them, having chosen them partly because their names related to my daughter Gillian and my late cousin Terry. Also, I felt they would thrive in another location. They're so beautiful, and iris was my husband's favorite flower.

So I decided to save only the irises and the Festiva Maxima peony that has been on this property longer than I've been alive. Making that decision was hard (plants are like old friends), but once it was made it strengthened my sense of purpose.

I dug up all the iris, divided the rhizomes (Rhizo, are you reading this? Did you name yourself after an iris root? :-) ), sent some to a cousin, gave some to a friend, and planted the rest on my dirt terrace.

Then I attacked the weedy bed with my lawnmower--an exceedingly slow job. Little by little, the bed is shrinking. When I cut down a clump of iron-like grass, I pour boiling water on it. That has been effective. I hope at some point I'll be able to dig up the brown clumps. I don't know what that grass is . . . it's skinny and tough. When I mow over once-loved plants, I"m tempted to close my eyes. But I feel good about every bit of visible progress.

Two paniculata hydrangeas (Limelight and LIttle Lamb) are in that bed. I will, of course, save them, and possibly add a few more. I'm not exactly skilled at garden design (can you tell? haha), but I think the paniculatas are beautiful--and they're one of the few things left that I have confidence I can grow.

Thank you again for your help with this!

Rather than post a picture of the very ratty looking work in progress, here are a few pictures I took today. Since I shot from a distance, through the glass of my kitchen window, the image quality is poor. But they turned out better than I thought they would.

Comments (19)