SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
samirasoni

wintersowing progress report of newbie

daisy08(London UK)
15 years ago

along with my office status report, I created my gardening report.

open issue: can those babies which already have true leave stay in jugs for another 3 weeks.

planted out

- bachlers button - cornflower

- calendula

- california poppy

- candytuft

with true leaves- still in jugs

- Alyssum Carpet-of-Snow

- coriander

- aster

- livingston daisy

- Night Scented Stock

- Stock: Dwarf Ten Week

- Swan River Daisy Bravo Mix

sprouted

- Nicotiana Sensation

- Mignonette

- petunia - pot - multi

- Rudbeckia

not yet sprouted

- Convolvulus tricolor

- Gazania

- lobelia - blue

- lobelia - crystal-trailing

- marrigold - african

- marrigold - french

- pansy - clear

- pansy - mini

- pansy - giant

- petunia - rose - single

- petunia - balcony - pendula

- phlox (annual one)

- salvia

- tomato

- verbena

waiting to sow

- nasturtium

- zinnia

- morning glory

decided not to sow

- cosmos (reason: too tall veriety)

- eggplant (reason: may not produce fruits if started outside)

moulded and thrown

- sweet pea (probable reason: used the oil bottle. howmuchever you wash, oil bottle would have had some residue which might have caused mould)

Comments (29)

• anewgarden
    15 years ago

Very Nice!!

You are so lucky to be planting out already!

About those Cosmos...I love too tall flowers! Wanna trade for something? Is there anything you don't have that you want?

• northforker
    15 years ago

Very organized - impressive!!!

Yes, babies can stay in jugs. Sometimes they stay in jugs till August (not recommended)!!! Many of us like to plant out at the "true leaf" stage, but that does not mean you HAVE to. I would leave any tender annuals growing in jugs till after your last frost date.

Nancy

• Related Discussions

wintersowers share your gardening blog/pic link

Q

Comments (64)
    I love looking at pics when I can't work outside. Here's a few babies. Char's( my sister) Zinnia Mix ws. red poppies ws. Blue fescue ws. Pattie Here is a link that might be useful: Some plants
    ...See More

Newbie Seed Project Final Report 2007-08

Q

Comments (6)
    Karen Thanks again for all of your hard work. I was one of the newbies you helped. I have been busy winter sowing and have over 75 containers done. Gave a few away to my very best friend and am starting a window garden for my sister from all of the generous donors. Thanks again everyone kathy
    ...See More

Newbie Introduction & WS questions

Q

Comments (22)
    Hi Whiteoakian - gardening brings me much solace and joy too. A few thoughts on your questions... 1) Mostly I avoid tape. Duct tape is difficult to get off; clear plastic tape works okay when container is bone dry, but is still difficult to remove; masking tape probably wouldn't stay adhered to plastic containers. 2) My best guess is that the only seeds that need to be sowed early, are seeds that require cold stratification (or warm-cold). I can't think of any annuals that require it, so there's no need to sow any earlier than the temps they would normally sprout. Some annuals are very cold hardy, like Poppies and Snapdragons, so you can sow those pretty early 4) I've tried many different ways of making holes - an awl, ice pick, drill, and soldering iron. Haven't really found any easy way yet! 5) I have a Sowing Chart - I keep records on seed germination tests, Winter sowing, & Direct sowing...this year I've already sowed 3 containers (2 trees and 1 shrub) I guess that would be fall sowing. It is an Excel chart and looks like this. I've made a few edits since this pic. You or anyone else is welcome to a copy of blank chart -
    ...See More

Red Bed Wannabees -- Report on Progress, please.

Q

Comments (7)
    Nell, Nell and Cameron, I LOVE red flowers, but I mix my reds in with other BRIGHT Tropical colours, as well as pastels and neutrals. Here are some of my REDS: Lady in Red (Salvia), Cannas, Zinnias, Nasturtiums, Dianthus, Roses, Sweet William, Cyprus Vine, Asiatic Lilies, Crocosmias (Lucifer), Maltese Cross, Petunias, Texas Red Star (Hibiscus), Salvia greggii and so many more. I love flowers with bright colorful, tropical colors, like Caribbean blues, oranges, REDS, greens, purples, and yellows. I love beautiful Esperanza. Some little dear Texas gal on this forum (wink, wink) sent me some seeds - lots of seeds. I had been a bit fearful to grow them thinking they were like Trumpet vine, but more research revealed to me that it is in fact a bush-type plant and not an invasive vine like Trumpet vine. Yeah! Here in my zone probably need to be grown as an annual or I will need to grow it in a big clay pot and bring it inside this fall. Is is too late to start some plants - two for me and some to share? Now, I have to go out and put my grass trimmer to work! With all the rain we have been having on a weekly basis, my yard looks like a "jungle". Last weekend we had to get the family cemetery mowed and trimmed for Decoration Day (Memorial Day). It took all day. Zooks! So our yard has just gotten WILD & snakey looking. I, in fact, killed a big copperhead just the other day in the doorway of the shop. It has got to be trimmed back and trimmed up! Talk to ya'll later. ~ sweetannie4u
    ...See More
  • daisy08(London UK)
    Original Author
    15 years ago

anewgarden,
    I would sent you those seeds but am in UK and postage may be more than seeds cost.

Nancy,
    thanks. That gives me some confidence that those babies would be ok in jugs.

I am not only newbie as a wintersower, I am new to gardening itself. I have a very small area to garden but I am so happy with my wintersowing success that I have bought some hanging baskets, window boxes, pots, watering can, plant food etc. I hope I can nourish well all these little plants i got by wintersowing.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    15 years ago

Daisy, if you are somewhat new to gardening, I wonder if you know to wait to dig in your soil until it is not so wet from winter....spading and digging in overly wet soils can harm the soil structure - particularly those soils with some clay to the base (like my own).

To determine whether your garden's soil is dry enough to work, dig a trowel full of soil and squeeze it in your hand. Soil that crumbles through your fingers when squeezed is ready to garden. If the soil forms a muddy ball, give the soil another few days to dry, and sample again later.

Those seedlings with first true leaves can wait - I give my own more time than that before transplanting.

• daisy08(London UK)
    Original Author
    15 years ago

morz8,

thanks a lot. actualy i have not done any reading about soil improvement and i should read more info before i plant.

looks like my soil also has clay and i will check the moisture level before digging.

• friesfan1
    15 years ago

Daisy,

You have alot going on! I can't wait to see pictures
    of your babies this summer.
    Mary

• daisy08(London UK)
    Original Author
    15 years ago

this weeks report:

open issue:
    - shall i start runner beans now?
    - out of this list what can go in part shade? nicotiana and lobelia and ???

planted out
    - calendula
    - california poppy
    - candytuft
    - Night Scented Stock

- Alyssum Carpet-of-Snow
    - coriander (part of it cooked not in container but in a recipe ;)
    - aster
    - livingston daisy
    - sweet peas (just three plants)

sprouted
    - Nicotiana Sensation
    - Mignonette
    - petunia - pot - multi
    - Rudbeckia
    - Convolvulus tricolor

not yet sprouted
    - Gazania
    - lobelia - blue
    - marrigold - african
    - marrigold - french
    - pansy - clear
    - pansy - mini
    - pansy - giant
    - phlox (annual one)
    - salvia
    - tomato
    - verbena
    - impatien double

waiting to sow
    - nasturtium
    - zinnia
    - morning glory
    - runner beans

autumn sown in bloom
    - pansy

autumn sown showing some growth now
    - sweet william
    - snapdragon

• ellenr22 - NJ - Zone 6b/7a
    15 years ago

Daisy 08-
    welcome to the wacky world of WS'ing.
    You sure got into it in a big way!

I'm sure you'll have great success. :)

er

• keble
    15 years ago

I've been following your posts with interest, Daisy, because I am just outside London and reckon our weather must be more or less the same. Your carpet of snow can go in part shade and the pansies too, when they come up. I am waiting to sow runner beans (painted lady) until after Easter - only because I am away over the Bank Holiday weekend. My nicotiana isn't up yet - is yours the sylvestris or the other kind? I planted some of both - neither up! And my sweet peas are doing nothing at all...

• daisy08(London UK)
    Original Author
    15 years ago

keble,

I had bought nicotiana seeds from a 99p shop.I will check if any detail is there on the packet. The photo is similar to this link below.

I am also going away on bank holiday week. I will be moving all containers to shade and have arranged for regular watering if it does not rain. Ok, then i can also start runner beans once I am back from holiday.

I started half the zinnia packet today. Remaining seeds are for backup if some bad frost kills these.

Here is a link that might be useful: a similar nicotiana picture

• anewgarden
    15 years ago

Can't wait to see the pictures!

• proudgm_03
    15 years ago

anew garden I have lots of cosmos seeds. Your email address isn't listed or I would have emailed you. Send me an email.

• keble
    15 years ago

Seeds at the 99p shop? Not at mine - you're lucky! I think the photo you linked is the Nicotiana affinis which I grew last year (Sarah Raven seeds, £1.99) - they are beautiful - mine were all white and grew in shade, semi shade and full sun. They are late bloomers, I think - provided flowers when most others had stopped. I am trying both affinis and sylvestris (long trumpets hanging down) this year. I did a milk jug of coriander today, inspired by your success. Beautiful weather at the moment - perfect for the G20 demonstrators....

• daisy08(London UK)
    Original Author
    15 years ago

keble,
    thanks for info on nicotiana. i will keep something with early bloom near them.

i have one question for you. what do you use for wintersowing containers and for pots/beds? i have tried different multipurpose composts : miracle-grow, wilkinsons, west+. Now i am using something i got from budgen superstore. this one is dark and finer than wilkinsons and west+ and looks better for tiny seeds.

i was thinking of getting those 3 for £10 multipurpose compost packets from homebase to fill up pots and baskets but not sure how good is that? have you used that type?

• carrie630
    15 years ago

Daisy - you are smart to keep those records so you can compare them next year. I never did that and relied on memory - which doesn't always work :0(

Can't wait to see your gardens

Carrie

• daisy08(London UK)
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Carrie,

i have a very small space to garden. this is my new hobby so too much worrying, reading and notes.

• keble
    15 years ago

I've used the Homebase compost but my first choice is the John Innes No. 1 seed compost. You can usually find a three for £10 deal - I usually get two seed composts and one John Innes No. 2 for potting on. But I'm not fussy - earlier this year Tesco was selling small bags of all purpose compost for 99p and I bought some of those - worked out more expensive than the big bags but sometimes it's easier to have the small ones....I haven't noticed any difference in germination rates depending on compost used.

• daisy08(London UK)
    Original Author
    15 years ago

this weeks report:
    planted out a few things. they look so tiny on ground. hope rain does not drawn them. many new sprouts coming. i saw some sprouts in tomato bottle but not in all of them. bought new packets of composts. potted dwarf dahlia tubers. squirel took those out and i have put them back again.

neighbours complained about bottles in backyard. anyway now i have moved everything to shade so less visible. I hurt my toe also :(

planted out
    - calendula
    - california poppy
    - candytuft
    - Night Scented Stock
    - Alyssum Carpet-of-Snow
    - Nicotiana Sensation
    - Mignonette
    - few petunia (just to see how they do. i have too many petunia to experiment!)

- Alyssum Carpet-of-Snow
    - coriander (part of it cooked not in container but in a recipe ;)
    - aster
    - livingston daisy
    - Rudbeckia

sprouted
    - petunia - pot - multi
    - Convolvulus tricolor
    - Gazania
    - lobelia - blue
    - marrigold - african
    - marrigold - french
    - pansy - clear
    - pansy - mini
    - pansy - giant
    - phlox (annual one)
    - salvia

not yet sprouted
    - tomato
    - verbena
    - impatien double
    - zinnia

waiting to sow
    - nasturtium
    - zinnia (remaining seeds)
    - marigold (remaining seeds)
    - morning glory
    - runner beans

autumn sown in bloom
    - pansy

autumn sown showing some growth now
    - sweet william
    - snapdragon

• teequiltbarbie
    15 years ago

Daisy, welcome to the mad, mad, mad world of gardening. A special brand of madness is WS. I'm new to that, but after gardening for almost 40 years, this has brought a new thrill to the already addictive gardening life. You're definately hooked. You'll find many helpers (enablers) here :)

• teequiltbarbie
    15 years ago

OK, today I checked each one and seperated them into the good kids (spouted) and the wannabe's (no sprouts) here's what I have: I'm so excited.

Flowers:
    Mixed carnations
    Mixed asters
    Bachelor Buttons
    Swan River Daisy
    Wildflower Mix (several jugs)
    Sweet William
    Hollyhocks
    Snapdragons
    Gypsophillia
    Alyssum
    Silver Dollar
    California Orange Poppy

Herbs:
    Cilantro, Fennal, Parsley, Catnip (my inside and outside kitties love the stuff)

Veg's:
    Swiss Chard
    Spinach
    Baby Romaine
    Parris Island Romaine
    Red Radicchio
    Mixed Blens Lettuce
    Cucumbers

BIG SMILE FROM BARBIE~~~~~~~~~~~~

• daisy08(London UK)
    Original Author
    15 years ago

newbie back after a long vacation. in my absence i had asked someone to water if it does not rain. to my surprise most of the things survived and growing happily. i am desperately waiting for the weekend to plant out. will update with pictures and details sometime this week.

need to read a lot that i missed during these three weeks.

• daisy08(London UK)
    Original Author
    15 years ago

everything growing nicely. two failure cases. impatiens and gazania. hardly any seedlings, may be seeds were bad, these were last year's bargain seeds.

major damage that happened during vacation is to poppies. poppies are lying on ground and turned yellow. looks like lack of water, sun or may be a fox walked over them. i am trying to revive them. a bush which looked so thin while planting poppies, has grown so much in my absence and taken over the poppies area.

person watering jugs in my absence removed all tags. i have no way to distinguish between different lobelias and marigolds!

planted out
    - calendula
    - california poppy
    - candytuft
    - Night Scented Stock
    - Alyssum Carpet-of-Snow
    - Nicotiana Sensation
    - Mignonette
    - petunia
    - aster
    - livingston daisy
    - Rudbeckia
    - petunia - pot - multi
    - Convolvulus tricolor
    - phlox (annual one)
    - verbena
    - runner beans

with leaves- still in jugs
    - Alyssum Carpet-of-Snow
    - lobelia - blue
    - marrigold - african
    - marrigold - french
    - pansy - clear
    - pansy - mini
    - pansy - giant
    - tomato
    - salvia
    - zinnia

failure cases
    - Gazania
    - impatien double

yet to sow
    - nasturtium
    - morning glory

autumn sown in bloom
    - pansy

autumn sown showing growth now
    - sweet william
    - snapdragon

non wintersown plants
    - dahlias tuber transplant successful and it got leaves
    - one of the dead geranium showed some sign of life!
    - rose have got buds.
    - jasmine blooming
    - lily of valley pips showing some leaves.

• daisy08(London UK)
    Original Author
    15 years ago

weekly report.

most of the things planted out. except for sad looking petunias and leggy pansies everything seems to be doing fine after plant out. I still have jugs of petunia, pansies and lobelia. time and weather permiting i will plant those to some area of communal garden next week.

i have run out of space so not sowing
    - nasturtium

the base of pole has concrete immediately below grass so place to sow morning glory.

wintersown in bloom:
    alyssum
    livingston daisy

wintersown having buds:
    marigold
    swan river daisy

autumn sown in bloom:
    pansy

autumn sown having buds:
    sweetwilliam

non wintersown plants update:
    - rose have got flowers.
    - an overwintered stock has grown healthy and many flowers.
    - overwintered calendula have flowers

wintersown impatiens did not come up. may be lack of water in my absence. i bought 6 pack each of impatien, white begonia and pink begonia for £1 each. i guess these are better bought from superstore.

• daisy08(London UK)
    Original Author
    14 years ago

we are having nice sunny days. today one tomato plant got flower :)

other plants doing well except for zinnia which is going very slow.
    dissappointments: Mignonette hardly any scent, night scented stock beaten by last week's rain lying on ground.

full of blooms
    - livingston daisy
    - sweet williams(autumn sown)
    - Alyssum Carpet-of-Snow

some flowers and buds
    - calendula
    - california poppy
    - candytuft
    - snapdragon (autumn sown)
    - Night Scented Stock
    - Mignonette
    - petunia
    - Convolvulus tricolor
    - marrigold - french
    - viola
    - pansy - giant
    - tomato
    - impatien(not winter sown)
    - begonia(not winter sown)

green- no boolms yet
    - aster
    - Nicotiana Sensation
    - Rudbeckia
    - Gazania
    - lobelia - blue
    - marrigold - african
    - pansy - clear
    - petunia - rose of heaven
    - phlox
    - salvia
    - verbena
    - nasturtium
    - zinnia
    - geranium
    - runner beans

• keble
    14 years ago

Yes, we are having glorious weather! wow, Daisy, you are doing great. None of my stuff is 'full of blooms' except for the dianthus which is 2 to 3 years old. Do have some blooms on my cornflowers and alyssum but still very much in early stages. Plus I have huge gaps in my border - am wondering if it's too late to sow anything else. Still have nicotiana to put out - they bloom late so I think the beds will look better towards the end of the season than they do now. But congratulations on your success!

• daisy08(London UK)
    Original Author
    14 years ago

i am very happy with wintersowing and how things have come up.

last year i was late to start anything so i had direct sowed calendula and nasturtium and they grew quickly.

After knowing that nicotiana will flower late, I have put some impatiens in front of them. i got those as 6 pack for £1 from morrisons.

• daisy08(London UK)
    Original Author
    14 years ago

sunny days gone :( anyway atleast i don't have to water.

livingston daisy was doing great show in sunny days. now it is no longer opening the flowers. same for california poppies. Next year i would avoid plants which open flowers only with bright sun. we don't have so many bright sunny days and usualy when it is bright i am not at home.

annual phlox was supposed to be small but it growing and getting leggy in the pot. may be i should have pinched it.

everything doing good. some plants got promoted to flowers and buds catagory.

full of blooms
    - livingston daisy
    - sweet williams(autumn sown)
    - Alyssum Carpet-of-Snow
    - petunia (though not full capacity, still giving decent number of flowers)

some flowers and buds
    - calendula
    - california poppy
    - candytuft
    - snapdragon (autumn sown)
    - Night Scented Stock
    - Mignonette
    - petunia
    - Convolvulus tricolor
    - marrigold - french
    - viola
    - pansy - giant
    - tomato
    - impatien(not winter sown)
    - begonia(not winter sown)
    - petunia - rose of heaven
    - salvia
    - nasturtium
    - runner beans

green- no boolms yet
    - aster
    - Nicotiana Sensation
    - Rudbeckia
    - Gazania
    - lobelia - blue
    - marrigold - african
    - pansy - clear
    - phlox
    - verbena
    - zinnia
    - geranium

• daisy08(London UK)
    Original Author
    14 years ago

i have little tomatos! i took out that livingston tomato feed and gave them a good watering. i have got buds on nicotiana.

my small garden smells heavenly with jasmine, stock and sweet williams. i did not know petunia also have some fragrance. alyssum might also be contributing there. i even like marigold smell. i even like smell of tomato plant!

i am not happy with night scented stock and Mignonette. they can barely stand, have hardly any flowers and whatever has flowered has no noticeable scent.

• daisy08(London UK)
    Original Author
    14 years ago

reporting after a long time. Now everything is in flowers. Even the asters and rudbeckia.

lots of tomatos, all green, no red.

Sponsored