SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maryeirvine

rose recommendations for bay area newbie

I've never planted nor taken care of a rose in my life, but everyone has to start somewhere! I'd like to replace some scrubby cistus (rockroses) and salvias in my sunny yard. I live in Oakland Ca with heavy clay which I've somewhat amended over the past few years. I've been inspired by roses in my area which seem to be the only beautiful things growing in this drought. However I'm wary of biting off more than I can chew... also El Nino is coming and I don't want to lose a lot of expensive plants... Should I plan to start roses this fall, winter, or spring? Most nurseries here carry bare roots in December. There is a 50% sale coming up at Regan's nursery which is very tempting. I'd like to buy 10- 15 roses: mainly shrubs in shades of pink, apricot/peach, and white. As a total novice, I'm looking for low maintenance and repeat bloomers. So far I'm considering knockouts, drift roses, carefree and easy series, the fairy, and iceberg. I'm definitely open to less pedestrian varieties, but I've no idea where to start! I can handle occasional pruning, but don't have time for regular deadheading. I also have some large (24" terra cotta pots in both sunny and part shade areas. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022